Advanced Search

Thanksgiving

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Thanksgiving

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    SHVentus
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 64

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, their friends, and family. 🙂

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your loved ones as well!!!

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Thanks for starting this thread! Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. I wish you all the best. Thanks for being such a great community!

-Clay

Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

Happy Thanksgiving all! Started my long weekend off by leaving work a little early and coming home and having a nap the same time my 2 year old did. Tomorrow it is off to Denver to eat and spend some quality time with my cousins!

Hope you all have a great Turkey Day!

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I’ll second all of the thanksgiving Day well-wishes. When you get older, each of the sibs has their own extended families to gather with, so our holiday will wait ’til Friday, when it’s easier to get everybody together.

Thanks guys, for making my year a little more interesting.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

A very happy thanksgiving everyone!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Josh Miller
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 7

Happy thanksgiving everyone. The turkey was no match this year thanks to a Wicked Edge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Dinner was fantastic. I spent it with my mother, both sisters and their families and my lovely wife and kids. All the food was truly excellent and I thoroughly enjoyed carving both turkeys. I chose my 270 mm Misono for the job, got it nice and sharp and brought it up to my mom’s place. It was a great choice; the perfect combination of long, flexible and incredibly sharp. I really like the Swedish steel for that kind of work.

-Clay

Zamfir
    Participant

Made it back from Denver after a very nice evening of Dinner with Family. My Cousins smoked a turkey and baked one and had all the fixins a fella could handle. The little ones are growing up fast! Just last time I was over there some were just crawling..now they are climbing over the furniture! Great to have some exposure for my son Killian to his cousins. Since he is an only child he is just stuck with me and Ma most of the time. He had a bast and did not want to leave. This was the best Drive all the way through Denver ever! Left my house at 3 and was able to drive 5mph over the speed limit the whole way through Denver! Unheard of! Hope you all had as great of a night as we did! Now, I can finally fall asleep in my chair..Ahhhhhhh….

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

All the food was truly excellent and I thoroughly enjoyed carving both turkeys. I chose my 270 mm Misono for the job, got it nice and sharp and brought it up to my mom’s place. It was a great choice; the perfect combination of long, flexible and incredibly sharp. I really like the Swedish steel for that kind of work.

You’re a brave man! Or were you planning to do a video on how to fix major chipping damage on a long knife? 😉 My favourite J-knife, a Suisin inox honyaki recently got some chips when I cut up a chicken.

Great to hear so many people had a good time! At this side of the pond we even don’t know what Thanksgiving is 🙁 .

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

All the food was truly excellent and I thoroughly enjoyed carving both turkeys. I chose my 270 mm Misono for the job, got it nice and sharp and brought it up to my mom’s place. It was a great choice; the perfect combination of long, flexible and incredibly sharp. I really like the Swedish steel for that kind of work.

You’re a brave man! Or were you planning to do a video on how to fix major chipping damage on a long knife? 😉 My favourite J-knife, a Suisin inox honyaki recently got some chips when I cut up a chicken.

Great to hear so many people had a good time! At this side of the pond we even don’t know what Thanksgiving is 🙁 .[/quote]

A relatively (pun intended) quiet and small gathering for us. Just my son, Merlin, his wife, two kids and dog and my wife and I and our two dogs.

I’ve always carved the bird, but this year we gave Merlin a 3-piece set of Shun’s in September. I touched them up on the WE and he carved. I love recalling the personal smile each person got who used the knives.

And then we sat together for the longest time enjoying the company….

~~~~

I appreciated your mentioning of the knives you used. I’m in the market (always) so love to hear about and read about. I looked both knives up and read about them. Beautiful.

The descriptions say they are both “asymmetrical” bevels…. is that correct? Did you keep the 90/10 and the 70/30 bevels?

I ask because I’ve heard of some who sometimes even the bevels out…

~~~~

Happy holidays to all and to all a good knife…..

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Allgonquin
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 51

I too am the carver as we have our turkey dinner at a friend’s house – a long tradition. However this year I did not stop by a couple weeks in advance to pick up their knives for sharpening – my normal “payment” for thanksgiving dinner. And boy was I sorry! It was just plain awful to carve up the bird with a dull knife. I knew I was in trouble when I checked all the knives in their block with my thumb. Chose the best of the lot and attempted to use the steel, but that was a lost cause on a dull knife. First cut into the nicely browned skin on the breast was impossible. Just would not cut. I was too far away to drive home and get one of my knives.

To make a long story short I sawed my way through that bird. It was ugly. But it still tasted good, thank goodness. Won’t happen again.

Zamfir
    Participant

Yup. That is going to be my payment next year. This year I will be very busy at Christmas sharpening knives for my family!

My cousin in Denver that cooked T-Day dinner has a set of Henkels. They need some serious help. Next time I am up there I am bringing the WE to get them back in working condition.

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

Wow… this is cool….

My wife flew home after Thanksgiving. I’ve got the dogs so I’ll drive home after a few more days visiting with my son and family.

This weekend we were talking knives… I brought a few and I know my son and grandson both have small collections. Doing some show and tell, my grandson pulls out one of my Dad’s (his great-grandpa) old knives’..

I got chills and my hands were shaking.

I found a couple of pictures on eBay valued at $375 – $495!!

The grandson will get it back some day, but for now I traded him for one of my Leeks.

I’ll clean it up just a bit, put an edge on it and then put it into the collection!!

Wow, I had completely forgotten about this knife. It’s a beaut.

Attachments:

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I too am the carver as we have our turkey dinner at a friend’s house – a long tradition. However this year I did not stop by a couple weeks in advance to pick up their knives for sharpening – my normal “payment” for thanksgiving dinner. And boy was I sorry! It was just plain awful to carve up the bird with a dull knife. I knew I was in trouble when I checked all the knives in their block with my thumb. Chose the best of the lot and attempted to use the steel, but that was a lost cause on a dull knife. First cut into the nicely browned skin on the breast was impossible. Just would not cut. I was too far away to drive home and get one of my knives.

To make a long story short I sawed my way through that bird. It was ugly. But it still tasted good, thank goodness. Won’t happen again.

That’s when you take out your pocket knife, which is actually a mini light saber, and melt your way through the turkey with the edge as the meat particles move out of the way in fear!!! hehehe 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.