Advanced Search

Symmetrical primary bevel but asymmetrical otherwi

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Tips for Specific Knife Grinds and Styles Symmetrical primary bevel but asymmetrical otherwi

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

This knife is pretty sharp having con-vexed the the edges on a mouse pad with sand paper up to 3000 grit but when I get the WE (it has to come to Spain so it could be a while)will it be just a question of putting foam tape on the engraved side of the blade so that I can perhaps refine the edge further with the Chosera 5000-10000 .
    The knife if anyone wishes to know is a full damascus Le Thiers Ebony made by Gilles Fontenille Pataud.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Hi Leo, Welcome to the WEPS crew. That is a beautiful knife! I have one I want and have been putting off ordering for sometime from that neck of the woods. I love the lines and the way it flows. What a great knife!

Leo Barr
    Participant

I made a case for it so I can wear it on a belt .
    Gilles makes some very attractive knives .

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

Well done. I really like the whole package.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

This knife is pretty sharp having con-vexed the the edges on a mouse pad with sand paper up to 3000 grit but when I get the WE (it has to come to Spain so it could be a while)will it be just a question of putting foam tape on the engraved side of the blade so that I can perhaps refine the edge further with the Chosera 5000-10000 .
    The knife if anyone wishes to know is a full damascus Le Thiers Ebony made by Gilles Fontenille Pataud.

Nice knife! :woohoo:

I’m not sure I understand your question (at least the part about putting foam tape on the engraved side), so this may not be what you’re looking for. You can create/maintain a convex edge on the WE by sharpening in “steps” usually one or two degrees, then smooth the bevels out with leather. So you could maintain what you have now with the leather strops on the WE.

Personally, if I wanted to use Choseras on the WE on that knife, I would just sharpen it with the Choseras, and maintain it that way. Think you would find it a hard to beat edge.

Leo Barr
    Participant

The knife is not symmetrical as far as the main grind is concerned the side with the etched makers name has a deeper grind from the spine to the edge than the backside.
    I convex sharpened it on a mouse pad with various grades of sand paper then stropped it but I imagine I could improve the edge further on the WE which points the question of how to clamp it in such a way as to enable fine finishing with the Choseras.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I think I see what you’re saying now… but since each side of the WE is set independent, I don’t think you have to do anything special to clamp it… you’ll just have to set each angle independently adjusting for the offset, just by matching what you now have on the knife?

If that’s not it, just say so… someone will be along to help I’m sure.

Leo Barr
    Participant

Thank you that what I needed to know not having the WE yet it did not occur to me that that the angles can be tuned independently on each side.
    What about been able to increase the bevel angle towards the handle this I imagine would necessitate raising the tip and dropping the handle end if I am understanding the geometry correctly ?

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

I convex sharpened it on a mouse pad with various grades of sand paper then stropped it but I imagine I could improve the edge further on the WE which points the question of how to clamp it in such a way as to enable fine finishing with the Choseras.

As far clamping goes? Recently the guys suggested using a piece of chamois. I cut a 1″ square and then a 1/2″ square to hold the FFG and fancy blades and have been very satisfied with it. I have never attempted a convex grind with my choseras? So I can not comment, but it sounds like a really cool idea when finished. Seems like it would really take sometime to get it just right? Mirror, shape,…

Leo Barr
    Participant

Looking carefully at the knife when closed it is obvious why the blade is ground asymmetrically since the whole blade is visible when closed the edge is close to the handle of the knife so that it is hard to catch the edge of the blade in this position so it is almost a chisel grind but with two bevels.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hi Leo,

It’s slightly off-topic, but I love your knife! I am considering to get one myself. Last year I was in France, in Thiers, where Gilles (Fontenille-Pataud) has his workshop.

Here is a photograph:

I agree, it’s not very sexy 😉 . You can see more pictures of my visit to Thiers here: http://www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=4&id=1672&limit=10&limitstart=10&Itemid=63#1702

I have a question about the knife: how easy is it to open with one hand? And how strong is the lock? It looks pretty small to me.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Leo Barr
    Participant

The knife is very easy to open , the lock spring is 3mm thick & The allen key bolt is spaced with thin washers each side of the blade . The pintle which is part the allen key bolt is around 6-7mm in diameter ; there was a little play on the pintle with the blade but I built it up with a little blue painters tape which has eliminated all play maybe some of these fit better on others & I dare say that I may well need to recover the pintle again in the future I may well use plumbers tape if I have to do it again .
    The lock I would say is a 2mm pin and is strong enough for the knife.
    The knife is slim in the hand and light it is a perfect knife for a Frenchman it will cut sausage and bread very easily .
    I have two other knives by Giles two Laguiole 12cm one with Curley Birch handle and a mother of pearl inlay in the fly/bee and Rose damascus the other has a Juniper handle with a straight fly/bee and carbon steel damascus the first one has stainless steel bolsters and the second has unpolished brass bolsters .
    They are all great knives I did do a little esthetic cleaning away of glue here and there so they are not necessary perfect but they are beautiful . I shall post the pictures of those in the next reply .

Leo Barr
    Participant
    Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Very interesting looking knives.
    Very. Could they be ordered from the US??
    Any idea of the cost?

THX

Phil

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

I’ve ordered direct from him (Gilles). Shipping gets expensive from France.

https://www.fontenille-pataud.com/indexuk.php

And World Knife has other French knives.

http://www.worldknives.com/

Hope that helps

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.