Advanced Search

Stumped

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Stumped

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Josh Berresheim
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 12

I have gone through the entire process on about 10 knifes so far. On my benchmade 551 I carried the burr all the way to the 1000 stones. I went to the 1200 and 1600. The 1.4 and,.6 micro fines. I have reduced the angle from the 18 degree setting to strop at 16 degrees. Stropping with leather and the 1 and the .5 I still can’t achieve a hair whitteling edge 🙁 . It will even snag the PB paper. I have seen viedos of guys stopping with the 3.5 strops and hairs are splitting. I’m stumped! What do y’all suggest?

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

Don’t get discouraged, man! I still find myself thinking I’m better than I actually am sometimes, only to find out the knife seems duller after I finish.

I think what it comes down to is technique. They WE is honestly a simple tool to use, and it only gets easier as you fail over and over again.

The easiest way to approach your technique is to truly understand HOW the system sharpens and WHAT is happening as you sharpen.

I apologize. I know this sounds vague, that’s because it is vague…. For now! :woohoo:

I’m SUPER pressed for time and can’t really go into much detail at the moment, but I’m extremely confident someone with more knowledge/experience will soon chime in and begin to alleviate some of your frustration by addressing your concern(s) in detail.

So… Just breath…

You’ll be there in no time, trust me. But definitely trust them!

Aaron kimpton
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 155

I have found that some times the burr acts up. It will not snap off as you finish down. It is quite resilient. I know the edge pro guys use a cork between grits to pull the burr off. I started doing this at the 400 grit stage. Just swipe an old wine cork down the edge lightly. Let that pull the burr off. Since then my edges have been easier to finish down.

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

Are you verifying the apex with a pocket scope or loupe of some sort? Snagging paper sounds like the edge needs a closer inspection.

JS
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 109

You could possibly have some microchipping at the edge, or either you didn’t fully apex the edge. A loupe will work wonders for you.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Great advice about using a loupe, or as I have a USB microscope. If you can’t see the defects in your edge, you’re not likely to eliminate them. This is really huge. You need to achieve a clean apex for the full length of the edge before proceeding to higher grits. For me, this is always at 400-grit. After that it’s pretty much a simple process. See my video here:

But as Steven (KnifeKnerd) says, technique is also really important. Find a motion that works for you (up and away. or down and away or up and towards you, etc.) and stick with it. Then work on perfecting your strokes. I learned that keeping my grip below the level of the edge is really helpful. When you go above that level, the blocks tend to rock inward slightly, thereby changing the angle and buggering up your bevel.

Most likely though, is that you’re not getting every little defect removed or you’re not removing the burr entirely.

Josh Berresheim
    Participant

Thanks so much guys. What kind of loupe should I look in to? I am probably a victim of rocking the stones over the edge. I will try the “below the edge” style. I have two sets of roo strops with 5 /3.5 .25 and .125 cbn coming. Also two sets of glass plates and 3 1 ,5 and. 1 film coming as well.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Josh:

Sounds like you’re jumping in with both feet. We’re delighted to have you. This is a unique forum in that the guys here are always eager to help you out, with nary a discouraging word. Most other forum have got at least a few nasty regulars who delight in insulting others. Not so here.

I just wanted to make something clear,in that the “below the edge” rule is mine and that there are many successful users here who may preach other methods. You just need to find what works for you.

Best loupe? There’s a bunch out there and most are very inexpensive. I’ve bought at least six just to try them out. Carson has several variations and all work to one extent or another.

I like the Carson LL-10.

I think the Carson focusable 17X is a little too big, but it’s worth a try.

Don’t get the little eye loupes – they’re meant to hold with your cheek and eyebrow, like jewelers do. You don’t want to have to get that close to the edge with your face – very awkward.

The loupes with the clear plastic bases are pretty good. You have to get your lighting right but you can see pretty good without having to get too close. Remember that you’ll be scanning all along the blade and leaning over the sharpening stand and moving along with the loupe is no fun. Worse up close. I’m lazy, hence the handheld microscope.

Some guys like the little Chinese loupe with the LED lighting coming in from the side. I bought one at $2.81 and it works but again, you have to get your eye pretty close to see clearly. As long as you’re buying something from Amazon, buy one of these too, just for shits and giggles. They work remarkably well, but are to tiny for me.

If you watched the video all the way through, you saw the “slick tape” I added to my microscope. Wouldn’t hurt to try it on your loupe as well.

Have fun!

Josh Berresheim
    Participant

Thanks everyone! I just ordered the Carson loupe this morning. I also tried the lower grip last night and got great results to the 1000 grit. I think my problem is coming from the ceramics. I adjusted the angle with each stone and the ceramics as well. I have also lapped all my ceramics on the 200 grit stone but still looks like the bevel is not right. I can’t wait to use the loupe!!!

Manny
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 15

When you say adjusted the angled on each ceramic stone was that using the angle cube? I’m also having to same problems you are.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

When you say adjusted the angled on each ceramic stone was that using the angle cube? I’m also having to same problems you are.

Yes make sure you use the angle cube otherwise the angle will change from the diamonds to the ceramics

Josh Berresheim
    Participant

I do use the angle cube. Maybe my ceramics are not totally flat?

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

Try to lightly mark the apex with a sharpie color that you can see easily after each step. I’ve had some issues with the super ceramics dishing after some use. If your edge improves through the ceramics then I would focus on your stropping technique .

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.