Advanced Search

stuff goes here

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpening as a Business stuff goes here

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

Hi folks,
    Im wondering if the other people here that have a sharpening service would like to brain storm ideas as to how to increase business? Most of us live in different areas and some do things others wont (josh i referred you people for corrugated scissors) but all of love us sharpening stuff using the wicked edge. Maybe since there’s no filter we can pm each other . Dan

Ted S
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 31

Looks like you have a typo on your website. “tries to make” versus “tries make”

Maloon’s Knife Sharpening Service tries make everything convenient and as easy as possible

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Hi folks,
    Im wondering if the other people here that have a sharpening service would like to brain storm ideas as to how to increase business? Most of us live in different areas and some do things others wont (josh i referred you people for corrugated scissors) but all of love us sharpening stuff using the wicked edge. Maybe since there’s no filter we can pm each other . Maybe adding our websites here will be a verification? Dan http://www.EliteEdges.com
    Just and idea

I must say Dan that you have a great looking website!! Everything looks well laid out and easy to understand… I like your shopping cart feature (I have had issues with the ones I have tried so I don’t use them now). Do you ever find that you have issues (such as: you have one of the plain edged knives that has a chipped tip, or needs a re-profiled edge, etc) where ppl don’t add the “extras” to your cart?

I don’t know how you make any money man… you not charging much! Do you do this full time? It appears so. I have found that I cannot do a mirror finish for less than $30-50 depending on the edge thickness. I have even turned down knives because the edges are too thick and I don’t feel like wasting the time trying to mirror polish a 1mm bevel! I won’t mirror finish knives really unless they are less than .015″ thick.

I would be curious how your mobile sharpening works… I tried it but can’t seem to get the customers/make enough money after you deduct gas, driving time, and talking to customers (which is completely different than sharpening time.) I have another friend that sharpens out there in CA and he charges dirt cheap… which is weird because the cost of living is much higher than here!

Have you timed yourself? How long does it take you for various sharpening activities? Machine sharpening typically takes me 3-4 minutes/plain edge knife up to 400 grit and buffed. WEPS takes a little longer (15-30) because they need to be re-profiled and then sharpened. It is rare to get a knife that doesn’t need to be re-profiled. I charge $3-5 extra for the re-profiling fee and sometimes do it on my belt sander if I can.

What do you use for scissors/serrated/machine sharpened knives? (pm if you don’t want to post this publicly).

One thing I noticed: on your videos page I cannot view the videos at all on my android smart phone because it says I need flash… it would be good to fix this if you can? I tried it on two different browsers.

You look like you are on the right track.

1. website
    2. cards
    3. good visual pictures on the site
    2. yelp reviews (you also need google reviews as this is HUGE)
    3. word of mouth referrals
    4. looks like you have beat the bushes for business w/ the restaurants

you may want to consider having a few drop box locations so you don’t have to run all over kingdom come just to get 1-2 knives… and have scheduled drop off and pick up days.

Daniel maloon
    Participant

Looks like you have a typo on your website. “tries to make” versus “tries make”

Maloon’s Knife Sharpening Service tries make everything convenient and as easy as possible

Thanks ted ill change that. More than half the time i am away from my computer and alot is done on my phone. Sometimes auto spell throws a word in there that i dont catch. Other times the published site after editing will have missing words or photos. And the damn videos arent working lol

Daniel maloon
    Participant

California is kinda funny like that. The majority of my mail in knives come from north/east coast where having someone else sharpen your knives is still common. Ill message you some details josh

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

California is kinda funny like that. The majority of my mail in knives come from north/east coast where having someone else sharpen your knives is still common. Ill message you some details josh

This thread is excellent.

If there is proprietary information that you guys need to share I understand not taking it public.

I feel like I’m attending a Master Class “listening” to all of you corresponding here on the Forum and hope it keeps going a bit more with all your sage advice and experience.

I’m semi-retired and have the thought of supplementing my semi-retirement income, so this thread hits very close to home. If, for no other reason, than I might be able to make it (this sharpening obsession) pay for it’s own upgrades and accessories!!

That being said, I’m preparing to turn in my first invoice tonight!!

Seven knives for $142. Some needing bolster grinding, all needed thinning, several had chips.

So to speak, I used brute forced on the bolster and chips with the handheld WorkSharp. I took my time to avoid over-heating and mistake avoidance!!

The Ken Onion edition came out shortly after I bought mine…. !#@)&)&(*%!#$#$. I will upgrade as soon as $$ allows. It can dial the sharpening angles down lower than the standard which would have substantially sped up the thinning process. The standard goes down to 20 degrees per side, the KO goes down to 15 degrees per side.

So, I got what I needed out of the WorkSharp pretty quickly and then moved on to the WE.

Seattle is in the midst of attempting to raise the minimum wage to $15/hr. It took me 8 hours for the seven knives so I made better than minimum wage. Better than $20 per knife and better than $17 per hour.

I figure that’s really good for an old retired guy — better than virtually anything else I can think of where I would be making $15/hr or better!!

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Gib:

Being retired myself, I certainly understand your situation. Although I have no need to produce a supplementary income, my background in engineering and manufacturing management peaks my interest with regard to the costs of doing business.

From my perspective: A fellow trying to make a living out of this should be taking into consideration the following:

1. Income adequate to sustain a family in a reasonable lifestyle commensurate with a semi-skilled or skilled tradesman.

2. Costs of all types of insurance, including health, liability and workspace (building, fire, etc.)

3. Overhead: Utilities, building, etc.

4. Taxes, licenses, etc.

5. Advertising; web site, local ads, etc.

6. Protection from periods of loss of income. (rainy day income)

7. Non-productive time spent running the business.

7. Retirement planning.

As much as twenty years ago (things may have changed since I retired in 2006) we used between 80% and 120% of the average hourly rate as an estimate of the total overhead costs and that didn’t include sales and administration. Average hourly rates back then were about $20 for skilled tradesmen (machine builders and electricians). All told, we had to make $50 per hr to break even.

Taking all this into consideration, I think you should probably be targeting to average about $50 per hour minimum if this were your sole source of income and your local market would bear it.

I just asked zig in another thread how he sharpens knives to keep his cost so low, as he says he only uses the WEPS for special jobs. Maybe the WEPS really is better applied on jobs which will earn the higher dollars. Another way of saying that the WEPS is too slow and meticulous for the low cost jobs.

I hope this doesn’t add too much to your confusion and I know this doesn’t apply to you in the least. I’m just trying to put in perspective what your time is worth.

Tom

Daniel maloon
    Participant

Thats great Gib, and good money too! There are things that i would rather not publicly share regarding business ideas,techniques, set up and advertising. You can search other boards/ forums and find little to no information about sharpening as a business anywhere. Keeping certain conversations private benefits everyone because if everybody knows how you do what you do, and then does it too, then you’re just another guy pushing a lawnmower down the street. It takes a while to figure out what works and what doesnt and this was started as maybe a chance to exchange ideas along those lines.

Gib Curry
    Participant

Gib:

Being retired myself, I certainly understand your situation. Although I have no need to produce a supplementary income…… I’m just trying to put in perspective what your time is worth.

Tom

My wife keeps telling me I’m fully retired — though the way she pronounces it comes out sounding more like retarded.

Don’t have to supplement my retirement, but still wouldn’t mind my avocation paying for itself! And if more came in there are accessories to accumulate, water-stones to buy and I am absolutely sure I need a few more top end blades to put in my knife drawer!!

That being said, your comments are absolutely spot on.

When I say semi-retired (network engineer) I mean “who knows what’s going to happen tomorrow?” I may “need” to produce income and were I to accept a consulting gig, it would be starting at $75/hr.

And, even if I’m not going to become a professional but rather a semi-pro or highly ranked amateur, there are “standards” to uphold. I want to present the highest possible quality sharpening in a timely fashion that is a good financial arrangement.

Then, everyone gets to smile when the knife slices so effortlessly through its work.

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Gib Curry
    Participant

Thats great Gib, and good money too! There are things that i would rather not publicly share regarding business ideas,techniques, set up and advertising. …..It takes a while to figure out what works and what doesnt and this was started as maybe a chance to exchange ideas along those lines.

I totally understand.

Back in the day, some of our dear friends had very funny looks on their faces when we asked them to sign non-disclosure agreements before we’d talk about our business!!

I appreciate the balance. There seems a terrific openness and willingness to share technique, information and strategy in the knife and sharpening worlds. But, there’s also a line.

Appreciating all of everyone’s input…. if time is money then this forum is a treasure trove of wealth.

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.