Advanced Search

Stropping effects w/ different substrates

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

If you read through part 1, 2, and 3 HERE[/url] on Todd’s blog I think you guys will find it very interesting. I have to read through it again to let it all sink in. So what is the “best” stropping compound? And how do you optimize each?

For instance… Clay shows that using leather stops can round your apex 4-5 dps. So therefore to not add too much convexity, we lower the stropping angle 2-3 dps.

So is Todd saying in his blog that micro convexity is a good thing? that’s what it sounds like to me.

Todd Simpson
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 47

Josh,
    You are comparing two different length scales. Full bevel convexity (as Clay has shown) requires “large” multi-micron abrasives.
    Micro-convexity involves just the last few microns of the edge and only requires sub-micron abrasives. These sub-micron abrasive strops do not remove enough metal to convex the entire bevel.

The suggestion is that micro-convexity is the key to maximizing keenness.

I would suggest that you try following the C10k with a 0.25 micron diamond on balsa at the same angle and see what you think.

Todd.

Josh
    Participant

Josh,
    You are comparing two different length scales. Full bevel convexity (as Clay has shown) requires “large” multi-micron abrasives.
    Micro-convexity involves just the last few microns of the edge and only requires sub-micron abrasives. These sub-micron abrasive strops do not remove enough metal to convex the entire bevel.

The suggestion is that micro-convexity is the key to maximizing keenness.

I would suggest that you try following the C10k with a 0.25 micron diamond on balsa at the same angle and see what you think.

Todd.

You are correct Todd in that I was comparing two different things… I was aware of that when I posted it up but I was wondering if it would be beneficial to reduce the angle slightly even on balsa to minimize the micro convexity and just barely caress the edge for the sharpest edge possible. Basically, just what Clay advocates on the larger scale taking it to the micro scale.

I will definitely try what you say. thank you!

Todd Simpson
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 47

As I understand it, reducing the stropping angle requires that you remove metal near the bevel shoulder to bring the apex in contact with the strop.
    It is unlikely you will be able to remove sufficient metal with sub-micron stropping.

Think of it this way: micro-convexity is a careful and controlled method of producing a true micro-bevel.

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

Well I know he can take some cool looking photos.

Josh
    Participant

As I understand it, reducing the stropping angle requires that you remove metal near the bevel shoulder to bring the apex in contact with the strop.
    It is unlikely you will be able to remove sufficient metal with sub-micron stropping.

Think of it this way: micro-convexity is a careful and controlled method of producing a true micro-bevel.

I would still be curious to see if lowering it 1 dps w/ balsa affects the apex at all. But you are probably right.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.