Advanced Search

Stropping a rockstead?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Simarjeet Sahni
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 8

Anyone have any advice on stropping a rockstead on the Wicked Edge? With their convex grind I wonder how difficult it would be to get to the apex.

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Which rockstead do you have I have the Beetle , Chou & the Un zdp the Beetle was old when I bought it & in retrospect it was not as sharp as it should be the guys in the store had blunted it eventually after stropping I took a radical step & thinned it now it is super sharp.
    If you can use bench stones then strop it remember the angle is 12Ëš at the kissaki and 15Ëštowards the Ago so you have to roll the edge as you go con vexing their web site suggests using denim impregnated with liquid metal polish ; the idea is to not let it go blunt.
    The Chou I use & will sharpen firstly by stropping as above then if it really needs it I will sharpen on bench stones since I have mastered them and convexing is easy .
    The Un is an investment & the only thing it has cut is the duvet cover I used to photograph it on otherwise I just look at it and put it away unused .IT IS THAT SHARP THE KISSAKI TOUCHED THE DUVET COVER & CUT THROUGH THAT & THE DUVET!

Attachments:
    Simarjeet Sahni
    Participant

I have a kou and chou, the chou gets the most use opening up boxes and mail. I was thinking of stropping it with .25 micron diamond spray loaded bench strop I use from time to time but since I have a wicked edge I figured it might be interesting to see if it was workable.

Leo Barr
    Participant

The only thing I think is going to be difficult it the transition from 12-15Ëš Clay shows how to convex on the WE I am sure there will be a way to do it it is just going to be slow since you will need to make transitions both laterally & vertically there are times when pushing the envelope is almost easier than using a tool if you start with a degree or to showing under the blade and as you push away close the gap the beauty of convexing is that it is not necessary to be as accurate as when doing a flat bevel it is a very natural movement and you will feel when you get to the edge it pre dates flat bevels by millennia flat bevels are not that difficult either select the angle and the rock the entire body to & fro from your feet leaning forward & back to move the blade over the stone if you want to maintain the angle on a cutting bevel. There are timers when tools are easier and times when bench stones are easier it is all about practice & feel I sharpen at least one knife a day on bench stones & they are essential for compound bevels on Debas & the like the WE & the benchstone have their places small knives especially expensive showy knives in particular with flat bevels are best on the WE or cheaper cooks knives most good quality Japanese chefs knives are best done on bench stones especially the Shinogi thiining since 4Ëš is not possible as yet on the WE
    There is a way to do it on the We but it will take a lot of time and planning to do it & setting up to do it , if you are set on doing it watch Clays videos on convexing if you document it then you will be able to repeat it accurately although I think this ids also possible on benchstones with bigger blades but the Chou for instance probable will be best on the WE if you can work out how to do the horizontal transition or maybe leave that out and just convex.

I will be most interested to hear & see your solution.
    The Kou is not too dissimilar from the Beetle nice knife ! I have the Chou with the Iron wood handle; its my EDC.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

…remember the angle is 12Ëš at the kissaki and 15Ëštowards the Ago so you have to roll the edge as you go

Could you do this on the WE by setting the tip farther forward (2nd example in the picture)?

Attachments:
    Leo Barr
    Participant

Now that will work lets see a photo of Simarjeetsahni stropping results they should be awesome that does with the foreaft angle change and then he will have to drop the bevel angles by a degree or two to convex.

Simarjeet Sahni
    Participant

I ended up stropping it on a bench strop with .25 micron leather after I tried to follow the contour at 13 degrees per side and didn’t quite hit the tip. I might have to look at the low angle attachment or play a bit more with where to mount the knife.

Leo Barr
    Participant

Yes I think your pushing the envelope it may just about be possible but if you can do it on the benchstrop it is probable all that is needed . The secret is to do it like they say at Rockstead 2/3 passes each side before it becomes blunt that way you should never need to do more than that unless your cutting up a deer or something.
    Also bear in mind that you should not be stropping absolutely on the edge but back may be a degree is it the Kou or the Chou & if its the Kou is it YXR7 or ZDP189 I would keep an eye on your stropping using a marker pen & a loupe and check every pass until it is right then it should not be too hard to do by rocking forwards & backwards using your feet & minimal movement in your hands .
    I think if you do it on the WE you will need the low angle adapter I am sure it can be done provided you have the patience to set it up properly although if you have had a reasonable result on the bench strop it is probable a lot easier to do it that way.

Simarjeet Sahni
    Participant

it was the chou that needed stropping as it gets a ton more use. For now the bench strop will do, I did look at the edge under magnification, and it looks almost perfect.

bijji clarrk
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 2

results. You have to merge it with appropriate diet strategy and regular exercises to be able to get the best possible weight-loss outcomes.Though these weight decrease products, best weight-loss items are as powerfully efficient as the suggested program, they come with small sized negative responses. This probably is
    one of the the objective why this drug is easily available over the counter.So, what are you waiting for? Avail the best weight-loss items to decrease the additional fat from your body! Weight Loss And Fat Loss Do Not Need To Be An Impossible Desire More than 50% of the America inhabitants think of dropping bodyweight and have been on one or more weight loss programs and failed. You probably are one of this statistic. But

Garcinia Cambogia Gold

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.