Advanced Search

stone hitting the clamp screw

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies stone hitting the clamp screw

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Long
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 21

Last night i was trying to sharpen a fillet knife and a pocket knife at a 15* each side angle.. But I ran into an issue at that low of an angle my stones were hitting the tip of the scew in the top hole of the clamp because it was sticking out of the other side of the clamp a little bit

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Last night i was trying to sharpen a fillet knife and a pocket knife at a 15* each side angle.. But I ran into an issue at that low of an angle my stones were hitting the tip of the scew in the top hole of the clamp because it was sticking out of the other side of the clamp a little bit

I got my Pro Pak 1 in from Bob @ Oldawans (We distributor) and he sent me a complimentary shorter and longer screw. Maybe a phone call to him and he could mail you a set or try a trip to your local hardware store and pick up a shorter screw in the mean time? I have read that filet knifes and thicker knifes can be a problem for the stock screw?

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

The screw that’s in there is a 10-32 x 1/2″, if you go looking for a shorter replacement.

If’ it’s just barely hitting, you can back it out slightly and tighten the bottom one a little more. I also found a small washer that fit over it and took up some of the slack. (Couple of options that might also work.)

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

If it’s possible, you could also try to slightly raise the knife in the clamp.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

If it’s possible, you could also try to slightly raise the knife in the clamp.

Yup… that too. (I think that’s the second time I forgot that). 😳

Tom Whittington
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 159

I actually grabbed a couple spare clamp screws at the local hardware store, with the future intention of shortening one or two down for the real thin blades. I think half a dozen of them cost me all of $2.50 or $3.00, and they’re even black oxide finished which looks rather nice 🙂

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

I have learned to put a piece of masking tape over the screw or edge of the clamp if I think I’m going to hit it. Not pretty, but it works.

Cris Scott
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 6

I also got my kit for Oldawan and it had shorter screws included. I just didn’t know it unit I told him I was having same problem (I thought the extra screws were just a second pair). So you may actually have some shorter screws in your kit.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.