Advanced Search

Sropping materials by Clay

Recent Forums Main Forum Stropping Sropping materials by Clay

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Here is the ZT Strider 0301 Collaboration: Blade: S30V stainless-steel Tungsten DLC coating with Tiger Stripes. 4.25″ blade length. 0.156″ thick. Scales: 3-D machined G-10 and titanium in Ranger Green. Pocket clip: Reversible, removable to tip-up or tip-down carry. Closed: 5.25″ Weight: 8.6 oz. Sharpened on Wicked Edge with the following progression at 19 degrees per side: Shapton – 120#, 220#, 320#, 1000#, 1500#, 2000#, 5000#, 8000#, 15000# Strops – 1mµ mono diamond, .5mµ mono diamond, .25mµ mono diamond, .125mµ CBN, .050mµ poly diamond, .025mµ poly diamond

What stropping material did you use, Clay for each spray? And if it was (kangaroo) leather, did you increase the angle when stropping (and by how much)?

And what are your experiences with the sprays? Does poly diamond work better than mono diamond? And mono diamond even better than CBN?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Where’s that quote from?

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Tap the “wickededge wrote” in the above post. It links to the quote.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I knew that!  Haha

Thanks

Mark76
    Participant

What is, for example, Âµ? I mean the underground like cow leather or balse or kangaroo leather.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

What is, for example, µ? I mean the underground like cow leather or balse or kangaroo leather.

For some reason the symbol didn’t show up properly. That’s supposed to be the micron symbol – µ. As for the post, that’s one that I think Kyle did. The 1.0, 0.5 and 0.25 micron sprays are from Handamerican. The 0.125 CBN, 0.050 and 0.025 poly-diamond are from Ken Schwartz. I used kangaroo for everything below 0.5 microns so my setup was a pair of kangaroo strops with the 0.25 diamond on one side and the 0.125 CBN on the other and then another pair with the 0.050 and 0.025. It’s hard to say at that small of a particle whether one kind of crystal is working better than another, especially since they’re different grits. I can say that the new Poly Diamond Emulsions we’re offering at higher grits work incredibly well, partially because the poly-diamonds are sharp and fracture rather than wear, creating more sharp little points, and because the concentration in the emulsions is so high.

-Clay

Mark76
    Participant

Thanks Clay. Did you increase the angle with the kangaroo leather? (It’s pretty thin.) And what backing material did you use for the materials above 0.5 mu?

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Thanks Clay. Did you increase the angle with the kangaroo leather? (It’s pretty thin.) And what backing material did you use for the materials above 0.5 mu?

I lowered the angle before stropping by 2 degrees. That’s especially important because thinner stones/strops work at a higher angle automatically in the same position as thicker materials. For the higher grit compounds I just used cow leather.

-Clay

Mark76
    Participant

Thanks Clay, I should have known that (and do it when I use cow leather), but I never realized it for kangaroo leather.

Mark76
    Participant

I was impressed, so I wrote a blog post on this. This makes the method easier to find (at least to me): blog post link

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.