Advanced Search

Spatchcocking my chicken

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I’ll turn the thread into about knives….  I used a honesuki to break down the turkey into parts, and remove the breasts then cut the dark meat from the thigh bones.  Then I use a Forschner 4047 12″ slicer to slice the breast meat.  Both these knives I maintain with the WEPS.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

That slicer is a cool looking blade. Have you considered getting a sujihiki? I’ve read that they make excellent slicers for brisket and the like.

Marc H

Funny you ask, I just ordered this today: Hattori Sujihiki 300mm .  A Christmas present to myself!

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

That’s funny, I did a lot of reading and researching earlier this year on the subject of barbecue. I think it would be another fun hobby to get into, but the doc said that I need to watch my cholesterol, so that kind of put the breaks on. There doesn’t seem to be much point in being able to make your own delicious meats if you can’t enjoy them for health reasons.

That’s why we’re having a thread on chicken 🙂 . Low in cholesterol and most fat that is left in it will drip out when it is grilled. I was surprised how much drips out when I grilled my whole chicken.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H

BBQing, low and slow renders a lot of the fat out too.  I love pork, too.

Pork-Butt-Boston-Butt-or-Shoulder
    Smoked-BBQ-Spare-Ribs

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Attachments:
    Marc H

But you’re right chicken is the mainstay.  It’s cheap to buy and quick to cook and relatively healthy.

Chicken-Wings-on-BGE

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Attachments:
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Marc, those are some tasty looking preparations. The pork but looks amazing.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Now I’m hungry.

-Clay

SalisburySam
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 15

Funny you ask, I just ordered this today: Hattori Sujihiki 300mm . A Christmas present to myself!

What a beautiful knife indeed!  I’ve known no one who is in any way dissatisfied with their Hattori’s.  Merry Christmas!  And another dilemma: a new knife, or food for two weeks?  Knife?  Food?  Knife?  Food?  Tough call.

Marc H

I’ve known no one who is in any way dissatisfied with their Hattori’s.

Salisbury Sam, I own several other Hattori’s, (Gyuto, Santoku, Petty and parer).  All these knives are extremely thin and durable.  They stay sharp for a very long time even though the steel is just VG10.  They are sort of a “plain Jane” knife but really out perform many other, more expensive knives, I have and use.  Even knives made from much harder steels.  They were discounted for Christmas so I took the opportunity to order some other styles, (Western Deba 165mm and Honesuki 160mm), to fill out the collection.

My sister visited over Thanksgiving.  I gave here a set of older, but Wicked Edge sharp, Wustof’s, so now I have the room for some new knives!

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.