Advanced Search

SOG Twitch II mirror polished convex bevel

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos SOG Twitch II mirror polished convex bevel

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

Another one of my most favorite “low end” EDC small gentleman’s folders. Needed an overhaul and I may have gotten carried away but it came out and I had fun learning about convex bevels at same time! 🙂

Mirror polished all the hardware as well. Cool thing is I have enough left over part from a broken one that came into the shop, I’m thinking of doing an acid/stone washed swap out… 😉

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Wow! I really admire all those fully polished blades people have posted here recently! I think I have to get some sandpaper… :cheer:

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

Wow! I really admire all those fully polished blades people have posted here recently! I think I have to get some sandpaper… :cheer:

Yeah, me too. Beautiful to look at that’s for sure… But, in my opinion, there’s nothing like the contrast of a mirrored bevel against a well-worm patina to showcase an edge. I’m currently sharpening an old Schrade 498 my granddaddy gave me over 20 years ago and can’t wait to mirror the edge.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Dude that’s a great job Cliff! Man, you really have to get a better camera… that one doesn’t do your work justice!

CliffCurry
    Participant

Dude that’s a great job Cliff! Man, you really have to get a better camera… that one doesn’t do your work justice!

Thanks Josh, agreed 110%. The other issue I seem to be having is lighting and photographing mirrors seems to be somewhat tricky. I asked a photo guy and he has suggested low indirect light, like from a lightbox maybe… but just not sure what Im doing there yet. 🙁

Josh
    Participant

Thanks Josh, agreed 110%. The other issue I seem to be having is lighting and photographing mirrors seems to be somewhat tricky. I asked a photo guy and he has suggested low indirect light, like from a lightbox maybe… but just not sure what Im doing there yet. :([/quote]

a lightbox was probably the single most improvement in my photos… this was taken w/ my cell phone in my light box =) this is the one I got

This is the ZT0301 that I reground to a thin edge, acid etched, and stonewashed. After it was all done i mirrored the edge. The lightbox really highlights the stonewash and etch!

AK Jim
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 15

Boy that’s really a great looking job & knife. I hope I can do that some day

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

Another one of my most favorite “low end” EDC small gentleman’s folders. Needed an overhaul and I may have gotten carried away but it came out and I had fun learning about convex bevels at same time! 🙂

The first, close-up picture of the Twitch is very cool…. the convex edge on the mirror finish looks like the Terminator’s skin…. fluid, pliable, malleable. Oh, yeah, and sharp…..

Nice job….

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Victor
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 80

Sweet mirror!

Great job!

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

What I want to know is how you got your Twitch reassembled?… Over 21 parts to this little knife and I remember losing 2 (ball bearing and spring in safety) almost immediately.

CliffCurry
    Participant

What I want to know is how you got your Twitch reassembled?… Over 21 parts to this little knife and I remember losing 2 (ball bearing and spring in safety) almost immediately.

Sorry Jason I missed this post. If I remember right it was a bugger, and things did go popping out back there. Im not a huge fan of the safety so I think I disabled mine with a drop of super glue.

Victor
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 80

Hey Cliff, just want to share my latest joining the mirror’ed old timers in the family:

This SnG is already started:

Looking forward to how the PD1 gonna take on a mirror polish.

Josh
    Participant

Victor… that’s just insane lol. I would love to know how you do that amazing mirror finish when you have time or if you are willing to share!

And is that the “spanner tool” i have heard about?

Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

Ohhh man..you have some skills and neat blades! I threw up in my mouth a little bit seeing how perfect they are..and well..WHAT they are..

Thanks for sharing your alien like skills Bro! You are not from this world!

CliffCurry
    Participant

The partial mirrored blade is so hard to get a crisp line on. I too would love to know your technique. I was taking painters tape and a dremmel with buffing wheels coated with different compounds after hand sanding. Corners are problematic. :blink:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.