Advanced Search

Small knife attachment

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box Small knife attachment

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Jorge Davila
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 0

It would be great to have a device to be able to sharpen a small blade i.e. Small slip joint or Swiss Army knife.

Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

This is what some folks have been using. I picked one up for my swiss army knife. will try it out over the holiday weekend!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CD7X1OA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

This is what some folks have been using. I picked one up for my swiss army knife. will try it out over the holiday weekend!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CD7X1OA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1%5B/quote%5D

I haven’t seen ppl using that specific one… that is great! Tormek makes good quality stuff too.. how ingenious is that!

SHVentus
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 64

Won’t the WE low angle adapter work for that?

https://www.wickededgeusa.com/product/wicked-edge-low-angle-adapter/

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CD7X1OA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1%5B/quote%5D

I used to use this mostly to get lower angles on blades. The problem is centering the blade which can be compensated for and compression of the handle. Some knives sit funny in it also.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I just used the Tormek adapter last week and it’s a great answer for blades that are really small. For instance, a Swiss Army knife with a blade only 3/4″ long and 3/16″ wide. The Tormek gadget puts the blade directly over the WE vise in free air with full access. I highly recommend it as an add-on to the WEPS.

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

What an excellent add-on to go with everything else!

Taking inspiration from Josh and others I tore down, cleaned, lube, & polished the entire system tonight looking for ways to improve and do more things with the WE.

This seems like a must have for all kinds of little stuff. Thank you!

Victor
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 80

I just used the Tormek adapter last week and it’s a great answer for blades that are really small. For instance, a Swiss Army knife with a blade only 3/4″ long and 3/16″ wide. The Tormek gadget puts the blade directly over the WE vise in free air with full access. I highly recommend it as an add-on to the WEPS.

Would be great if you have a picture shown mounted on WEP! 🙂

Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

It is like drag racing. Having the Wicked Edge is like having a top fuel high end car. To go just a little faster ist is harder and harder. More expensive too. To get the edge that much more perfect takes lots of practice and skill. There are some small mods a person can do to make it a little better. But we are already in the high end bracket. I am going to try a neat idea tonight involving spring ball bearing plungers on my lapping film paddles. I will post some pictures.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Hi Vic:

Here’s a photo I took of the Tormek Small Knife adapter holding a mini leatherman. I put a pad of graph paper behind it just to make it more clear and I didn’t take any care to level out the knife, so please don’t be too critical.

Attachments:
    tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

Works ok for me.

Victor
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 80

Hi Vic:

Here’s a photo I took of the Tormek Small Knife adapter holding a mini leatherman. I put a pad of graph paper behind it just to make it more clear and I didn’t take any care to level out the knife, so please don’t be too critical.

Mahalo, my good man!

You had made it very clear, I will get one of this for sure now!

Again, thank you and have a happy Thanksgiving!

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

So I received mine a few days ago and figured I’d share my thoughts on this handy addition to the tool kit… First test subject was a Kershaw Scallion, slight recurve blade, going for a nice low dps of 14-15.

I found the jig clamp mechanism to be excellent. I thought it would be more fiddly, but it was easy to loosen with thumb screw and adjust the blade to vertical. Once screwed down blade was very secure. Nice!

The ability to clamp the jig in the WE vise to adjust the front/back/up/down AND adjust “leaning” angle also excellent & I think will make it valuable for all kinds of small jobs.

I’ve only had it a few days but what I’ve noticed is the knife tended to slightly wiggle(the entire jig itself flexes just a bit) side to side when sharpening towards the tip under medium pressure. I was able to get an excellent result by decreasing pressure, slowing down, and using the off-hand to stabilize the blade so not a deal breaker.

I was wondering if others that have this noticed the same thing? Maybe you next time I could try to get the jig higher up on the handle of the knife, that sort of thing… Regardless it worked and well. Thanks for the recommendation!

Aloha 🙂

Cody Jordan
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 5

Mr.Clay, reckon yall could come up with something like this? I know it is a pain in the butt to try to sharpen my trappers on the WE. You can raise the blade in the vice, but I don’t feel that you could get repetitive clamps time after time, also the higher you lift the blade the more unstable the knife seems to get. Thanks

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.