Advanced Search

sharpening stones fix for PM2 sharpening

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    George
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 5

One of the first knives I initially sharpened with my WE is the spyderco PM2. With the way the standard stones are mounted on the paddles, there is a small gap from the plastic where the stones are set into the paddles. For most knives this wasn’t a big deal, but for knives like the PM2 that have a larger ricasso with a choil and plunge line that all meet in a relatively small area, this typically left a 1/16″ to 1/8″ gap of the blade that could not be sharpened. I had seen others who got around this issue by grinding that plastic portion off, but wanting to keep my hands safer I decided to test out something else before building it out on a set of blank paddles.
    I ordered 2 DMT Coarse 1″ machinist stones (3/16″ thick), 2 of the 1″X6″X1/8″ 400 grit mold master stones, 2 of the spyderco medium pocket stones (1″W X 1/8″thick), and 2 of the spyderco fine pocket stones (1″W X 1/8″ thick). I had recently picked up a Gayle Bradley that has a similar although with a lower ricasso than the PM2 that I wanted to sharpen with my new set up. I took my 100 grit paddles and rubber banded the DMT machinist stones to them and went to town. The factory edge on the Gayle Bradley seemed to be 18 degrees so I went with this angle. Almost immediately I could see I was able to sharpen the full blade and not limited as I was with the stock paddles. Overall I am really happy and will order some blank handles to make my new paddles although it would be great if something similar was offered off the shelf.
    First photo is of the PM2 with the stock stones finished up to the 1600 grit ceramics and stropped up to 1/2 micron diamond paste.
    The second photo is the Gayle Bradley with the stone mods and progression listed earlier stropped on 4 and 2 micron Bark River CBN paste finished on BR white compound.

Attachments:
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Nice idea, gmalamis! And great pics!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

George
    Participant

I resharpened the PM2 with the new stone set up and the results are awesome.
    The first photo is the mole master 400 affixed to the standard paddles. The second photo is of the finished results.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

How sweet is that?! Great idea man…

I love my gb btw 🙂

Josh

George
    Participant

With the success I had with the stones hack I did to sharpen my PM2 and after being really happy with the results I decided to make a permanent custom set of stones. I bought 3 sets of blank paddles and the stone line up I modified was a 2X6 DMT DiaSharp XC bench stone, 2 Congress Moldmaster 1X6X1/4″ 400 grit stones, spyderco medium 2X8 bench stone, spyderco fine 2X8 bench stone, spyderco ultra fine 2X8 bench stone. In addition went to home depot and I picked up an 8′ length of 1″ X 1/4″ flat aluminum stock and for adhesive i used 2 tubes of gorilla glue clear epoxy. I cut the dmt dia sharp and all the bench stones to size on a wet saw. So the first set is DMT XC and congress 400 grit moldmaster, spyderco medium and fine stones, and spyderco ultra fine plus a blank side I will mount a kangaroo strop side with most likely bark river white compound. I will be trying it out tomorrow once the epoxy is fully cured. I tried to have all the stones have the same overall height and the only difference is in the dmt/moldmasters with 1/10th of a degree compared to the other two sets. Attached are photos of the finished product.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Sweet!

Question: I have the DMT duo-sharp course/fine combo stone… I noticed that, after only a couple of sharpenings the diamonds have worn away on the edges and it is only the smooth substrate… have you noticed this with any of DMT’s stuff? Especially if you are using it in tight corners and having to remove a decent amount of metal.

George
    Participant

I have the larger dmt plates and while I haven’t done a bunch of knives on them, I have not noticed any difference on how fast they cut – they are the same from first knife to the last. It is important for me to remember when I’m using these on the wicked edge to go easy on the pressure. When I free hand I am gripping the handle and locking my wrist to maintain the angle and then basically pushing the blade forward over the stone with two fingers on the spine of the blade, so there’s not very much downward pressure. I don’t expect this single sided 2X6 stone to be any different than the larger 3X8 plates I already use.
    P.S. I also typically use water sometimes with a drop or two of dish soap to lubricate the diamond stones. I don’t know if that helps me but I feel it helps the knife glide a little better over the stone.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.