Advanced Search

Sharpening a Ti knife

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    jimbo45
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 39

Hi all I have a question for you. I just bought a MSC Ti SLCC to use for my fishing knife. My question is how should I sharpen this? The edge is carbidized? Basically is there something special I should do or not? Thanks in advance.

jimbo45
    Participant

didn’t mean to post this under the welcome mat category if someone could move it I’d appreciate it.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I think you just sharpen one side so the carbidizing on the other side will “self sharpen” somewhat… very interesting!

Read the narrative here

jimbo45
    Participant

Well if that’s accurate then never mind

Gregg776
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 59

Josh stated:

Read the narrative here…

That is a very interesting little device. I would be concerned that it would ruin the heat treatment of a knife especially where the metal is thin near the edge and possibly do more damage than good. It shouldn’t be too hard to duplicate with a vibrating engraver, a tungsten TIG electrode and a little fiddling with power requirements.

I know that titanium nitride coated drill bits don’t hold up as well after they have been sharpened the first time; even though the side where the chip forms is still coated. However a fishing knife that cuts relatively slowly compared to a drill bit may be just fine with only one side sharpened as long as a burr isn’t present.

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

I’m being completely honest when I say I have zero clue what you boys are talking about… And that’s ok 🙂

Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

Josh stated:

Read the narrative here…

That is a very interesting little device. I would be concerned that it would ruin the heat treatment of a knife especially where the metal is thin near the edge and possibly do more damage than good. It shouldn’t be too hard to duplicate with a vibrating engraver, a tungsten TIG electrode and a little fiddling with power requirements.

I know that titanium nitride coated drill bits don’t hold up as well after they have been sharpened the first time; even though the side where the chip forms is still coated. However a fishing knife that cuts relatively slowly compared to a drill bit may be just fine with only one side sharpened as long as a burr isn’t present.[/quote]

Same thing I thought of. You would have to be trashing the heat treatment. But, maybe if you sharpen after that a good amount you might get to a good heat treated surface again? But then the carbide shell is thin..did it mess with the heat treat everywhere below it at a microscopic level? Which is what we are trying to achieve with sharpening. Then again, its Titanium so I am not real familiar with its heat treating and edge retention. I think the edge retention kind of sucks compared to most blade steel which is why they are putting on this carbide layer to begin with so maybe it is not a big deal.

jimbo45
    Participant

Well I gave it a try and the results weren’t stellar. Knife is about the same to be honest. I might try running the 100 grit stones on the edge to get rid of the original edge and see if that helps

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Can you get a hold of Mick Strider or one of his team and ask what they recommend?

Zamfir
    Participant

What exactly did you try? Sharpening one side? the non carbidized side?

jimbo45
    Participant

I may have to contact strider. Yes I sharpened the non carbidized side and just stropped the other

Zamfir
    Participant

Did you create and then remove a burr?

Stropping is not going to remove a burr but rather straighten it out and create a wire edge that will quickly fold over and not be sharp again soon.

jimbo45
    Participant

To be honest I couldn’t ever actually feel an burr. I pulled it through some card board and that seemed to make it feel a little sharper so maybe it straightened the edge out some.

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Sounds a bit like white mans magic Greg voices my concerns about it perhaps it is good on steel that has not been heat treated .
    It reminds me of vibrsonic cleaning which doesn’t seem to work that well in general.
    It would be good to hear more about this process I followed the link to the machine which in itself looks like it would be easy to miss the edge using that tool.
    It seems that manufacturers keep trying to do away with sharpeners but often their idea of sharp is not that of Wicked Sharp.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.