Advanced Search

Sharpening a Shun classic chef’s knife

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpening a Shun classic chef’s knife

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dave Bigham
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Evening all,

All the info I can find indicates the Shun is to be sharpened at 16 degrees a side. Okay, should be easy enough. Ive got the low angle adapter installed, my knife clamped in and sharpie’d up, ready to go. When I set my angle to 16, 27 degrees indicated, it doesn’t match up to the existing, wide, polished bevel on the blade.

I’ve assumed that since Shun describes this as a single bevel blade, that there is just the one/single bevel all the way to the cutting edge. I put my math skills to work and determined that the visible bevel is approximately 6 degrees. Does this mean that there’s supposed to be a 16 degree micro-bevel on the cutting edge?

Thanks in advance,

MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2731

Welcome to the W.E. Forum Dave, for that situation I’d inspect the edge of the clamped knife under lighted magnification. I use a USB digital microscope. The scope would let me see the apex to determine if there is indeed a 16º micro-bevel or, if not, what I am dealing with.

I have applied a 16º micro-bevel on Shun knives with good results.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Dave Bigham
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Thanks Marc,

I looked closely at a couple other Shuns I have and there is a different bevel on the cutting edge.
    What microscope do you have? I picked one up off Amazon, but am less than impressed with the performance.

‘Thanks again,

MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2731

I like this one. Been using it for many years. It does everything I need it to do:

https://a.co/d/hmV0n3q

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.