Advanced Search

Sharpening a Sebenza

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Sharpening a Sebenza

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jason Goodrich
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 0

I have been reading for weeks on sharpening and I still can’t figure out what to do! The only thing that I have figured out is that I will be ordering a WEPS.

I recently purchased my first good knife, a brand new Large Sebenza 21 and I have a few questions.

1. Should I keep the convex edge or reprofile to a flat edge?
    2. What are the pros and cons of a convex edge to a flat edge?
    3. I understand that I don’t need to use the stones every time, so where should I start at for weekly maintenance?

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Congratulations with your Sebenza, Jason! I’ve got one myself and it is an absolutely great EDC!

You can use the Wicked Edge to recreate of maintain the convex edge on your Sebenza. In fact, Clay has done a video on this. See here.

I have also done a couple of blog posts on creating a convex edge using the Wicked Edge, which you can find here.

The main advantage of a convex edge is that is supposed to be stronger than a v-bevel, although opinions vary why.

That said, of course you can convert your edge to a v-bevel. In fact, this is what Chris Reeves says on his site when he recommends to maintain the knife using a Sharpmaker. (But surely he wrote this before systems like the Wicked Edge came on the market.)

I don’t know how heavy you use your knife, but particularly for maintenance of a convex edge, leather strops loaded with some diamond paste are very suitable.

Success and let us know how you fare with your knife and the WEPS!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.