Advanced Search

Shapton stones

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

There have been multiple posts on Shapton stones already, but I found out I’d never actually posted my blog entry on Shaptons.

Here it is: http://moleculepolishing.wordpress.com/2012/07/29/my-first-knife-on-the-shapton-15k30k-stones/

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

Nice write up, Mark!

Those are on my list of stones I really want to try at some point.

Ken

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Replies: 342

Excellent writeup, Mark! B) B)

The best test to tell the difference between the 15K and 30K is to slowly push cut and slice cut paper. It may take some acclimation since it is different than the Chosera 10K.. In fact, I suggest doing side-by-side tests with the shapton and chosera grits to see the difference – especially between the 5K stones 🙂

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Thanks Tom! Sounds like a good idea which I’ll implement when I have some time. And the razor you supplied me does great after the 15K Shaptons! It takes some time getting used to, but you can use the WEPS stones for free-hand sharpening razors. (Michiel did a video on using Edge Pro stones for this; it’s similar, but even more cramped 🙂 .)

Do you know of anyone who has carried out (and reported on) practical sharpness tests? What I am thinking of is a number of sharpness tests (like slicing copy paper, push cutting copy paper, push cutting phone book paper, shaving arm hair, shaving facial hair, perhaps HHT, etc) and how a particular knife (with particular blade steel, heat treatment) does on those tests.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Replies: 342

You can use the WEPS sized stones for razors. I actually use the 1×6 size almost exclusively for razors.

I think basslakedan is doing something about cutting tests, but in terms of how much pressure it takes to penetrate a medium, like the Cartra test.

I think when designing a series of cutting tests, having consistent mediums for each type of test is most crucial, as it allows for the user to become calibrated and can therefore tell if there are tangible differences between different cuts/blades/angles/refinement.

I think you actually named all the tests there are! Lots of guys use cardboard for tactical/hunter knives, and there is also newspaper which is between copy paper and phone book paper in terms of thickness. All of these are good standard “indicator” tests, but I think it all boils down to finding that optimal geometry and refinement combo through actual use, doing the specific task(s) the knife will perform.

Simarjeet Sahni
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 8

Any chance we will see shapton glass stones for the wicked edge someday?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.