Advanced Search

Serration sharpener?

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpening as a Business Serration sharpener?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jed Bowen
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 57

Haven’t been on here in over 6 months because of my new job. The hospital has been crazy busy with some very sick patients. Winter came early and is here to stay for a few months. Tons of H1 N1, pneumonia, kids with RSV and COPD exacerbation and other lung related illnesses.
    Please stay healthy to all my fellow sharpeners out there.
    If you are sick please see your physician and start treatments early before you get a stay in the hospital because of stubbornness.

I was wondering about the serrated sharpener?

I remember Clay saying something about the stones being ready at the end of summer but still nothing? Any rumors flying around still or did that project get trashed 🙁 .
    I purchased the WE because of how well it worked and how fast changes/improvements were being made.I know the low angle adapter and chisel sharpener were put out pretty quick but where is this serrated sharpener?
    Thank you
    Jed
    Come on Clay lets get things moving. Lets see the serrated sharpener, lets see the stone covers, lets see some more of that creative genius that invented the WE in some more new attachments.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Have you seen RazorEdge’s video on sharpening serrated edges?

I was looking at a McFeely’s catalog tonite and see that they offer tapered diamond files for serrated edges.

Years ago, I picked up a white alumina-ceramic rod 1/2″ diameter and abut 6″ long. I chuck it up in a 1/2″ cordless drill and then spin it to sharpen serrated bread knives. Works great. Then I use the super erasers to clean the rod.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Have you seen RazorEdge’s video on sharpening serrated edges?

I was looking at a McFeely’s catalog tonite and see that they offer tapered diamond files for serrated edges.

Years ago, I picked up a white alumina-ceramic rod 1/2″ diameter and abut 6″ long. I chuck it up in a 1/2″ cordless drill and then spin it to sharpen serrated bread knives. Works great. Then I use the super erasers to clean the rod.

Ingenious 🙂 yeah I use a powered set up that makes it super quick… But you could get by with the Spyderco sharpmaker rods and then stropping the serrations… That should make them razor sharp with enough time 🙂

Jed Bowen
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 57

I use all of those resources like the cardboard and polishing compound and such. Plus DMT diamond tapered sharpeners. Plus different diameter rods with different grit sandpaper wrapped on it.
    I want something I can do perfect on each serration like the WE offers with it is normal sharpening stones. The other methods all work fine to touch up a rolled/slightly worn edge. I want to be able to repair damaged serrations easier and make it repeatable, make all the serrations the same width and depth and do it without electricity too, since my farmers market does not have power and running a generator is annoying to others.
    It is in my opinion needed more than a chisel sharpener and the low angle adapter will work perfect to get the steep serrations needed. Now just time to be able to sharpen the other 1/2 of the knife on a WE is all.
    But thanks for the input fellas. I forgot to put I use other methods to sharpen serrations.
    Thanks
    Jed

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Hi Guys,
    Hey I spoke with Clay at Shot show. He said he had been very busy and coming out with a few items. However he has not been on the forum at all. If you really want him to know I would suggest calling him direct.
    Clay is a super nice guy! I also had the pleasure of meeting his lovely wife, who is just a doll!
    Clay was very open to a couple of my suggestions and I found him to be a very likable fellow! He did say the strop boxes are finalized and he will start production of them this week. We should see them in 6-8 weeks.

Lukas Pop
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 109

I know the low angle adapter and chisel sharpener were put out pretty quick but where is this serrated sharpener?

I think that low angle adapter was shortly before release for about 2 years, so the release date of the serrated sharpener is quite unpredictable. But it is better than to release unreliable product.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I’m working on an attachment which will let me use Spyderco’s triangle rods (edge) on my WEP2. If it works, it’ll be really simple to replicate.

Lukas Pop
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 109

I’m working on an attachment which will let me use Spyderco’s triangle rods (edge) on my WEP2. If it works, it’ll be really simple to replicate.

Sounds very interesting!

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Hi Jed
    I think you will find that Clay has indeed got things moving. He is getting to the serrated edge sharpener, but from his perspective being in the know, he has many other irons in the fire. There is a whole host of things that need to be addressed and he has prioritized them I am sure…the low angle adapter, the various Pro kits including the new Super Pro model you can see recently posted on You Tube January 15th are only a few of his herculean efforts. Take a look and be ready to be filled with wonder mate.This new Pro sharpener is the contender for the best professional sharpener ever.
    Patience mate and he will get to it as he winnow down his list of priorities which is governed by the total picture of the company and the needs of its customers.
    I want one too! 😉

Leo

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Hey TC, now that is sharp thinking! What an excellent idea. Thanks for the very useful tip mate. Well done.

I tip my hat to you
    Leo

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.