Advanced Search

Securing flexible blades – alternative idea…

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Tips for Specific Knife Grinds and Styles Securing flexible blades – alternative idea…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

So, I was sharpening a long fairly flexible carving style knife…

… as you can see, I clamped it so the majority of the blade was behind the clamp. Initially, I was “holding” the handle by bracing it with my body, then got to thinking, and came up with this…

… just took some string and a couple of clamps and secured the handle.

Worked great! The string didn’t even have to be that tight, and it held the knife so that side to side movement wasn’t an issue. Didn’t get in the way at all either… after a few minutes, didn’t even think about it.

I actually think there may be a better idea hidden in this one, so thought I’d throw it out here for some input. Or at least give you something to try if you need to. Turned out to be a simple solution that got the job done. :cheer:

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

Nice Curtis!

I’ll have to give that a try.

Fixed rods seem like they’d work more effectively but they wouldn’t be as accommodating.

Ken

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Great idea, Curtis! I’m definitely gonna try it.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

blacksheep25
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 68

Great idea!

An add-on suggestion: drill a hole in the end of the rod and insert a split ring as a tie off point (vice using the clips).

Lukas Pop
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 109

Interesting! Can you create some video? 😉

cbwx34
    Participant

I can barely take a picture 😆 It’s pretty easy and cheap to setup… I’m hoping for some testing and feedback/improvements. 🙂

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Interesting you bring this up? I was going to start a thread asking what you guys do when you have a long Bowie type knife? A friend brought over a long and very heavy antler type handle. It kept wanting to slide down? I braced it with a storage
    bin and towel, but I’m sure someone has a better idea?
    Thanks, Eamon

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Replies: 944

So, I was sharpening a long fairly flexible carving style knife…

… as you can see, I clamped it so the majority of the blade was behind the clamp. Initially, I was “holding” the handle by bracing it with my body, then got to thinking, and came up with this…

… just took some string and a couple of clamps and secured the handle.

Worked great! The string didn’t even have to be that tight, and it held the knife so that side to side movement wasn’t an issue. Didn’t get in the way at all either… after a few minutes, didn’t even think about it.

I actually think there may be a better idea hidden in this one, so thought I’d throw it out here for some input. Or at least give you something to try if you need to. Turned out to be a simple solution that got the job done. :cheer:

You have enough reach on the stones to get to the hilt (handle end) of the blade?
    It just looks like a reach..
    I like those levers you put on the set screws for the arms on the base rod… slick idea!

Mark76
    Participant

I like those levers you put on the set screws for the arms on the base rod… slick idea!

I didn’t notice that. But now I look at it, it looks like a good idea. Do you have a close-up picture of that, Curtis?

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Replies: 944

I can barely take a picture 😆

Maybe if you used a real camera… and not something that starts with “I”…

👿 :whistle:

cbwx34
    Participant

I’ve used a real camera…. it’s me. 🙂

The screws with the levers Clay gave me to try… since I have the clearance with the vacuum base setup. They don’t work with the standard base. Also have some clearance problems at smaller angles (hit the base of the unit), and can’t use the holder for the vise key. So, in the end, they’re OK, but no real advantage, other than being a little easier to tighten.

Didn’t have any problem reaching the length of the knife.

As for holding a heavy knife, I don’t think this idea would help… I’d try using something like leather, moleskin, or drawer liner, to give the vise a better grip.

Mark76
    Participant

The screws look very sturdy. Exactly what I’d want for being able to tighten the screws that connect the arms to the angle bar very tightly. These screws do come loose from time to time during sharpening in my case. (No, I don’t use Loctite, maybe I should.)

As for holding a heavy knife, I don’t think this idea would help… I’d try using something like leather, moleskin, or drawer liner, to give the vise a better grip.

I don’t know whether we understand eachother correctly (and maybe you didn’t direct this comment to me). It isn’t about heavy knives, this can happen with any sort of knife. The idea of moleskin or leather sounds good, but how do I apply this to a WEPS screw? Or should I ask this at my local hardware store?

cbwx34
    Participant

The “heavy knife” was in response to Eamon’s post. Sorry for the confusion.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.