Advanced Search

Sebenza help

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Gary O’Neal
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3

Hello guys,
    I need some help/advice. I recently traded for this extremely smooth small Sebenza. I thought I could reprofile this blade and salvage it, but once I recieved it, I’m not quite so sure. I can send it in and have a new blade installed and still be ok, but I’d like to save this one if I can. What are your thoughts? I’m not sure even where or how to begin to reprofile the tip to match the bevel on the rest. I figure I don’t have much to lose by trrying, but how/where should I begin?
    Thanks,
    Gary

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I’m not sure I understand, are you talking about that the tip area is wider? (Nothing entirely wrong with that, it’s mostly looks… it’ll actually cut better). 🙂

You can create a “more obtuse” angle at the tip, just follow the instructions on this page…

Positioning the knife front to back

You’ll want to set the knife similar to the third knife down… where it’s removing metal more toward the edge. You’ll end up with sort of a “double bevel” for a while, but again, that’s mostly aesthetics. Something like this…

I wouldn’t grind until the old bevel is gone… that’s a waste of metal, and could actually cause some issues.

Hope that helps… apologies if I didn’t understand what you’re asking.

Gary O’Neal
    Participant

Thanks very much! Exactly what I was looking for.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Let us know how it goes!

You could really use a re-grind on that to thin out that edge and make it cut well again… It would also make the edge uniform.

I didn’t do this one… but it would be similar to this: check here[/url] (before) and then the below pic is what it looks like after. Totally salveagable in my opinion!

Attachments:
    Gary O’Neal
    Participant

Thanks Josh. How would be the best way to reduce the bevel on the end and re-profile the tip? Should I increase the angle and work on the tip and then reset and go from there, or should I just re-position the blade to the rear and continue with the angle as set?

Josh
    Participant

Without a re-grind what Curtis (CBW above) told you is correct… you will have to adjust it further back in the vice and be satisfied with a double bevel for a bit =) After you get the positioning correct then you could try to get your knife as high as possible in the vice and go with as low of an angle as possible (probably around 15 dps) and then do a microbevel. This will basically give you a wide even bevel all the way down (probably) with a small microbevel at 20 dps that you can hardly see.

Gary O’Neal
    Participant

How do I go about doing a complete regrind?

Josh
    Participant

unless you have done it before or are a knife-maker I would send it to someone… It is done on a belt sander most of the time (if you want it to look good) and then you can finish it however you want (stonewash, cerakote, satin, etc). Here is one I did a flat grind on… it wasn’t as bad as yours at the tip but it gives you an idea. It will now perform like a knife should =) the only issue is that the thumb stud MUST be removed for this thing. The sebenza has a screw in thumb stud I believe, and it may get slightly nicked up during removal. I am going to check on somewhere to get replacements from in the near future…

Before:

After:

note: this is actually a knock off one that someone sent me, but it was surprisingly well built. It was actually smoother than another sebenza I had just sharpened before this one.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.