Advanced Search

Rolled Edge

Recent Forums Main Forum Stropping Rolled Edge

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Here is a USB Microscope Photo (250X) of a strop rolled edge.

Strop-Rolled-Edge

You can see the reflection right up at the apex as it rolls away from the bevel angle.
    The problem I’ve found with a rolled edge is the only way to correct it is to reclamp the knife and do a touch-up with stones to restore the bevel integrity.   With stropping I use the rule, “lower angles are always better”.  With the Wicked Edge I strop at 1-1/2º to 2º lower than I sharpened the knife.

In the kitchen when I use a paddle hand strop for touch ups.  When done properly I find it’ll bring a nice sharp edge back for a time.  I try to keep the blade relatively flat when using it to avoid rolling the edge.  The edge in the photo I rolled using a hand strop at too high an angle.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Attachments:
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Is the edge actually rolled (with the apex bent over to the opposite side of the blade) or has it simply become convexed at the apex? It would be interesting to see a microscope image taken from the other side of the blade. Did you find that this knife was now dulled and no longer performing well?

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

It is convexed to the edge on both sides, similarly, dulling the edge, so it no longer performs well.  Good description, Organic.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.