Advanced Search

Rights

Recent Forums Main Forum Off Topic Rights

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Hapslappy
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 30

<hr />

Now that gun control is under control, at least for the time being, maybe it’s time to discuss knife rights as well. There’s plenty of nonsensical knife laws on the books too.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Not in SC!

You can walk into walmart w/ a bowie strapped on your leg LOL

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I know what you mean. I moved from Oregon to Massachusetts a little less than a year ago. I was reading up on the knife laws here and in some towns you can’t carry a blade longer than 2 inches. Regardless, my current employer doesn’t allow any kind of knife at work, so I only get to carry on the weekends.

Hapslappy
    Participant

Not in SC! You can walk into walmart w/ a bowie strapped on your leg LOL

Same in Arizona and you can bring your gun too.

Hapslappy
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>

I know what you mean. I moved from Oregon to Massachusetts a little less than a year ago. I was reading up on the knife laws here and in some towns you can’t carry a blade longer than 2 inches. Regardless, my current employer doesn’t allow any kind of knife at work, so I only get to carry on the weekends.

</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>Many people in Massachusetts don’t like knives or guns. How ironic that the people of Massachusetts were the first to fight for freedom and now many of them can’t wait to give it away.</p>

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Back in February, Wisconsin (Scott Walker and both houses being Republican) passed a bill to repeal all prior concealed carry knife laws, except that those prevented from having firearms are also prevented from carrying knives.  So I immediately went to Amazon and ordered a Spyderco Stretch.  No longer limited at less than 3 inches.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

It’s funny. Where I live (Netherlands, but it is similar in most parts of Europe) firearms are strictly forbidden. But restrictions on knives are only quite limited. I shouldn’t carry a large knife at my work, but otherwise… I think that only in Germany it is different, since they also forbid automatic openers.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

dulledge
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 183

In New York City any folder that can be opened with one hand is prohibited. People get fines for EDC folders that they have to use at work, like contractors, etc.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I never understood the laws which prohibit locking blades (example: UK) as it seems to me that they add much more safety than threat.

By the way, the 9/11 hijackers had box cutters, which are only one or two inches long.  If you know where the carotids and jugulars are in the neck, you don’t need any more length.

In the few situations where I had cause to think about how I’d protect myself, it wasn’t which pocket the knife was in, it was “When did I last sharpen it?”

Organic
    Participant

It’s sad but true. My wife wanted to get a concealed carry permit for a handgun after we moved, so I looked into the process for her. It is a very lengthy and involved process where you can basically be turned down for no reason at all. You can’t even carry pepper spray without a permit because it is classified as a weapon. I would prefer to live in a state that wasn’t so restrictive, but a large portion of the industry in which I am employed is concentrated here. Beggars can’t be choosers as they say.

Organic
    Participant

“n New York City any folder that can be opened with one hand is prohibited. People get fines for EDC folders that they have to use at work, like contractors, etc.”

Does that law actually protect anyone’s safety? At that point, I think I’d go for a fixed blade neck knife instead, but I’m sure those are prohibited as well.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

There were rumblings in the UK for a while about mandating that all kitchen knives have rounded tips since the tip wasn’t necessary for cooking (their rationale, not mine.) The knife restrictions in different states are unfortunate and we do what we can to support the different knife rights groups in the country. We always give to them for their auctions to help raise funds for lobbying state governments. All in all, they seem to be having pretty good success so far in getting restrictive laws eased or repealed.

-Clay

Hapslappy
    Participant

Back in February, Wisconsin (Scott Walker and both houses being Republican) passed a bill to repeal all prior concealed carry knife laws, except that those prevented from having firearms are also prevented from carrying knives. So I immediately went to Amazon and ordered a Spyderco Stretch. No longer limited at less than 3 inches.

I like the way things are going in Wisconsin of late.

Hapslappy
    Participant

Does that law actually protect anyone’s safety?

Sure. They protect the health and safety of those that mean us harm and pay no attention to laws.

dulledge
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 183

Does that law actually protect anyone’s safety? Sure. They protect the health and safety of those that mean us harm and pay no attention to laws.

LOL. Well said! 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.