Advanced Search

Replace Leather on Platen

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Strops Replace Leather on Platen

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    DaveG
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 6

What is the best method to remove and replace the leather strip on a stropping platen?

I think I read in the knowlede base to use a hot glue gun to attach them. Any advice on the best method or things to watch out for when removing and/or attaching the leather strip? I have cow leather if that makes a difference.

Thank you!

Dave

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Dave, I simply pried my old leather loose after slipping a thin bladed screw driver between the plastic platen and the leather.  Then it took just some scratching and scraping to remove the left over glue to get a smooth flat gluing surface.

I have good success using 3M Super 77 spray adhesive.   I tape off all around the edge of the platen so the adhesive only goes where I want it. The same with the leather.  I spray it, then let it dry.  Work carefully because it wants to stick exactly where you place it.    I do apply clamping pressure to the leather just to assure it’s adhered flat with no loose spots under the leather.

I’ve replaced the leather several times this way and it hasn’t failed or let loose after a couple years use, so far.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

6 users thanked author for this post.
    DaveG
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 6

Marc… always a wealth of knowledge. Thank you for the quick reply!!

Dave

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

BTW, I bought the Super 77 from Home Depot

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by Marc H.
    2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.