Advanced Search

Recommend me the necessary stones.

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Recommend me the necessary stones.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jumpstat
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 17

Hi all,

I have the basic setup that comes with the 100/200, 400/600 and I have purchased the 800/1000 and lastly the 1200/1600 grit stones. I quite like the results and I am getting the hang of using the WE system. However, I still can’t manage to get the mirror finish.

Therefore please recommend me the necessary stones or strops I would require to achieve the sharpness and finish available.

Thanks in advance for the advise.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

jumpstat:  You may need to break those stones in for awhile before you’ll see mirror finishes.  How many knives have you done so far?

jumpstat
    Participant

jumpstat: You may need to break those stones in for awhile before you’ll see mirror finishes. How many knives have you done so far?

On top of my head, roughly about 30 sets. That includes many type of steel, kitchen knives, folders, etc etc.

How many sets that we need to go through until the stones have broken-in?

Cheers

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

30 knives should be enough to break in the stones.

For a “poor man’s” mirror finish I recommend the WE pastes on a leather strop. For a more expensive, but nicer option, I recommend the Chosera 5K/10K stones. Some people also throw in the 2K/3K ones, and they surely help, but they’re not absolutely necessary. See also my blog.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

Another lower cost option is lapping films or automotive sandpaper strips 2000-3000 grit. Quick n easy. Follow up with pasted strop n enjoy!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 427

If you are using 0.5  micron paste, that’s the same as using 50,000 grit sandpaper. its what I use. the 1.0 micron is like using 10,000 grit sand paper. I also experimented with  the use of something called Simi- chrome. ( note the spelling ) Simichrome  Its jewelers rouge in a lubricated emulsion. You can find it at any motorcycle shop, and on line, and at some auto stores.

Competition Chemicals, Inc. Simichrome Polish<b></b><i></i><u></u>

jumpstat
    Participant

30 knives should be enough to break in the stones. For a “poor man’s” mirror finish I recommend the WE pastes on a leather strop. For a more expensive, but nicer option, I recommend the Chosera 5K/10K stones. Some people also throw in the 2K/3K ones, and they surely help, but they’re not absolutely necessary. See also my blog.

Cheers.

Another lower cost option is lapping films or automotive sandpaper strips 2000-3000 grit. Quick n easy. Follow up with pasted strop n enjoy!

I could get sandpaper up to 5000 grit. Probably get a blank for this style.

If you are using 0.5 micron paste, that’s the same as using 50,000 grit sandpaper. its what I use. the 1.0 micron is like using 10,000 grit sand paper. I also experimented with the use of something called Simi- chrome. ( note the spelling ) Simichrome Its jewelers rouge in a lubricated emulsion. You can find it at any motorcycle shop, and on line, and at some auto stores. Competition Chemicals, Inc. Simichrome Polish<b></b><i></i><u></u>

Cheers.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.