Advanced Search

Recent WEPS enthusiast

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Recent WEPS enthusiast

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

Hello to all the good people in this forum,

I’ve had my WEPS a little over 3 weeks now, 50+ knives in and I LOVE THIS SYSTEM!

Joined the Forum a few days ago, so if I make less than informed comments please forgive me.

I have already gleaned some great information and I can’t thank all of you enough.

Glad to be a part of this community and looking forward to participating.

Thanks to all of you, with a special thanks to all the folks at Wicked Edge for all the help and advice they have provided.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viking
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 11

I am also new to this forum and I also appreciate everyone that contributes.  I have not yet bought a Wicked Edge sharpening system yet, although, I will be in the very near future.  I am looking at either the Gen 3 Pro or the Pro pack 3.  I am leaning towards the Gen 3 pro, but they are both on back order, so I have some time to decide.  In the meantime, I will continue to learn as much as I can from the individuals on this forum, as well as YouTube.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Welcome to the forum guys and feel a welcome part of this community! Glad you have picked up some info already and don’t hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

2 users thanked author for this post.
    sksharp
    Participant

Thanks Guys,

I bought the pro pack 3 a little less than a month ago and as stated I love it. It was the right one for me. Don’t know how much you want to spend, the pro pack comes with a lot of the attachments that I wanted and turned out needed. The gen 3 I think is a quicker set up time but for knives with asymmetric grinds it would be more time switching side to side and probably have to work 1 side at a time. I do a lot of kitchen knives so I guess you have to consider what you want.

There are a lot of folks who are very happy with the gen 3, and the biggest complaint that I have heard is the height. A lot of folks have modified it by taking the shelf off to lower it. I almost purchased the gen 3 but for me, I made the right choice.

Please, these are my opinions only, and meant to let you in to my thought process, not to try to influence your decision.

Good luck and welcome to the OBSESSION!!!

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Yeah, I’d love a gen 3 pro without the stone holders, so that it becomes as high as the normal WE’s. Might even consider getting one…

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I completely agree with you sksharp.

I have both the Gen 3 Pro mounted flat on the base without the shelf (to keep it low) and an upgraded Gen 3 made from converting my older Gen 2 Pro to easily facilitate asymmetrical grind Kitchen knives.

I haven’t spent as much time on the older Gen 3 upgrade as I have with the new Gen 3 Pro. I’ve got a Tojiro DP Honesuki Boning knife I need to tackle soon. One side is beveled the other side is essentially a flat ground. The Gen 3 Upgrade is perfect to allow me to work on both sides at the same time since I have the ease of quick centered clamping and independent angle adjustments. I’ll report after I sharpen it.

MarcH

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    sksharp
    Participant

Thanks Guys, it was just something I spent a lot of time considering before I purchased.

Please let me know how the tojiro turns out. The most challenging knives that I’ve done so far are the asymmetric kitchen knifes. I have done a couple, what I refer to as chisel ground, because one side sharpened and the other side is just deburred. Very challenging to get “VERY” sharp. This is where hand stropping has made a big difference for me. A little stropping after sharpening of some of these knifes has made a big difference for me. Others I can’t improve on the results of my WEPS.

My definition of “sharp” has changed over the last few weeks. Part of the OBSESSION I GUESS!

Thanks for the input guys lets stay in touch.

M1rrorEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 222

Yeah, I’d love a gen 3 pro without the stone holders

This is why I got the Field and Sport Pro (Gen 3- Vice).  I can clamp the base to anything I wish to adjust the height to my liking   (Click here to view photos).  I also like the flexibility of being able to adjust the rods independently for asymmetric angles.  The case it comes with is perfect for mobile applications as well.

Eddie Kinlen
    M1rror Edge Sharpening Service, LLC
    +1(682)777-1622

4 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.