Advanced Search

Re-Sharpening or “Tune Up”

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Re-Sharpening or “Tune Up”

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Lou Tiller
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 6

I am finally becoming reasonably proficient (better) with the WE Pro and have worked my way through all of our kitchen knives. Now the challenge is how to best deal with re-sharpening or “tune up”. It does not seem reasonable to have to start from the beginning (100 grit) and essentially sharpen from scratch, so I would very much appreciate any suggestions or ideas on how to best deal with maintenance.

Thank you very much and Happy Easter!
    Lou

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Hey Lou:

You’re right you don’t start from scratch. One of the key points of the Wicked Edge is to record the settings you used to sharpen a knife, so that you can reclamp the knife with the same settings and angle, and quickly touch it up with the finest strop or stone you ended with. If the edge needs a little work, you can back up a stone or two, re-establish the edge, then finish it.

In talking with Clay, this was the main driving force behind the invention… to quickly touch up an edge without starting from scratch.

Hope that helps! 🙂

Lou Tiller
    Participant

It does indeed, and I do appreciate your fast response!

I decided to do all of the kitchen knives at 20 degrees (knife data base resource), so the setup will be easy to replicate. My pocket and sheath knifes each have unique settings logged.

Thank you again,
    Lou

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

I you don’t dull the blade too much touch up should be possible with your finest stone and or strops. If you completely dull the edge you may have to go back to 400/600 diamonds.

Tom Whittington
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 159

Yep, I think everyone’s got it covered pretty well. My normal process is to use only the strops if it’s not rolled over too bad or damaged, and if it is rolled over I’ll use the 1000# diamond stones to fix it in a jiffy. My normal EDC edge is a 1000# with a few clean-up swipes on the 5/3.5 leather strops, so one of those two options always gets it fixed up quickly. It really doesn’t take long for touch ups, one of the best parts of the WEPS!

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

All exactly right! Good stuff!

Leo

Lou Tiller
    Participant

I do appreciate all of the info and feedback. Thank you all!

Lou

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.