Advanced Search

Question about lapping film

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Question about lapping film

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kyle
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 18

I have been wanting to try lapping film to use instead of my leather strops. Im not sure what micron to start with after my ceramics. I have both sets of ceramics, what would be the best choice to use to help get a better mirror polish?

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

That’s kind of a difficult question because I don’t have a feel for how well your ceramics are doing for you, or how many film blocks you have. I use four pairs with eight different grades: 15. 9, 6, 3, 1.5, 1.0, 0.5 and 0.1 microns.

The 1200/1600 ceramics are replaced by the 15 and 9 micron films, which are the equivalent of 1200 and 1800 grits. Assuming that you have one pair of blocks for film and that your ceramic stones are performing pretty close to their 1200/1600 and 1.4/0.6 ratings, it would make the most sense to start off by filling in the gap between them with the 6 and 3 micron films.

One thing that hasn’t been talked about much here is that the aluminum platens can also be used with film. You can prepare them by lapping them on a flat plate with a few grades of sandpaper.

Tom

Kyle
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 18

That’s kind of a difficult question because I don’t have a feel for how well your ceramics are doing for you, or how many film blocks you have. I use four pairs with eight different grades: 15. 9, 6, 3, 1.5, 1.0, 0.5 and 0.1 microns.

The 1200/1600 ceramics are replaced by the 15 and 9 micron films, which are the equivalent of 1200 and 1800 grits. Assuming that you have one pair of blocks for film and that your ceramic stones are performing pretty close to their 1200/1600 and 1.4/0.6 ratings, it would make the most sense to start off by filling in the gap between them with the 6 and 3 micron films.

One thing that hasn’t been talked about much here is that the aluminum platens can also be used with film. You can prepare them by lapping them on a flat plate with a few grades of sandpaper.

Tom

Right now i dont have any blank paddles. I wasnt guna buy any until i know for sure exactly how many different films i plan on using. I didnt really want to replace the films with my ceramics, just replace the leather strops. Im looking to use the ceramics first then continue with lapping film instead of the strops. Just not sure which micron i should start with after the micro fine ceramics.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Again, the 6 and 3 micron films, which equate to 3000 and 6000 grit respectively, are practical replacements for 5 and 3.5 micron strops. With the micro-fine ceramics, you’ve eliminated the issue of rounding edges with soft media.

If you find you are not satisfied with the finish you get, you should examine the results of each grit with a loupe or microscope. The grits of the ceramics are approximations, so you’ll want to confirm their performance. I’m far more confident in film.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.