Advanced Search

Problem with my vise?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Problem with my vise?

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

It was around $125 if I am not mistaken… but he cut me a deal and didn’t charge me for HT since he threw it in with a batch of other items. It was done through a local metal fabrication shop… I took my existing vise in and said “I want an exact replica of this made out of tool steel and then hardened” and they did it!!

I would check with some of your local shops to see what they can do for you…

Patrick Martin
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 26

New vise is installed with 2 knives mirror polished! Working perfectly. Now I am taking great care to not over tighten. I will say this: I used to see if it was tight enough by trying to move the end of the handle up and down. I’ve learned that is not a reasonable test. Even if I can move the end of the handle up and down, the stones won’t. I’m not saying it’s loose, but the leverage the handle test uses is way more that the stones place on the blade. Just wanted to share me thoughts, hopefully some newbie like me will avoid the same mistake. Also, WE customer service is the best I have ever dealt with.

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Thanks Cakes, nice photo.

Most of my knifes are 3″ blade folder, so not too heavy.

For some larger knives, I trace with sharpie on the blade a straight line from the top of the vice. That way if it moves it is easy to see. Sharpie comes off with alcohol for me, but be careful, I don’t know if this is 100% true.

I also use moleskin they vice. I found if I use both moleskin and tape on the blade it slips real easy.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.