Advanced Search

Pro pack 1 Vs pro pack 2

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Pro pack 1 Vs pro pack 2

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 37

Hi

If money was no object I know what I would buy. Thing is, that’s not the case.

Looking for some advise on what I should get. All I want to do is make a good job of
    carving my roast chicken and roast beef. I’m not skinning any recently shot sport.

In light of WE PP1 costing £380/$590 vs WE PP2 costing £778/$1213, can I really justify the major price hike?
    I do like to get the best in what I purchase, but am struggling to be able to justify the cost in light of what I need it
    for and the probable frequency of sharpening required.

Can anyone impart their views in making some suggestions

I know the PP2 has modifications based on observations from some expert sharpeners on how to improve an
    already excellent product. Will I need these mods? Not planning on sharpening loads of knives. Just those
    ones I need for a family guy who cooks and carves his roasts and prepares loads of vegetables.

Cheers

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Hi

If money was no object I know what I would buy. Thing is, that’s not the case.

Looking for some advise on what I should get. All I want to do is make a good job of
    carving my roast chicken and roast beef. I’m not skinning any recently shot sport.

In light of WE PP1 costing £380/$590 vs WE PP2 costing £778/$1213, can I really justify the major price hike?
    I do like to get the best in what I purchase, but am struggling to be able to justify the cost in light of what I need it
    for and the probable frequency of sharpening required.

Can anyone impart their views in making some suggestions

I know the PP2 has modifications based on observations from some expert sharpeners on how to improve an
    already excellent product. Will I need these mods? Not planning on sharpening loads of knives. Just those
    ones I need for a family guy who cooks and carves his roasts and prepares loads of vegetables.

Cheers

sounds like PP1 should work just fine for you =) you can always upgrade later, as I did. 600 grit stones will, after broken in, give you a hair popping nice toothy edge =)

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I’d have to agree with Josh, but I feel compelled to add that the Wicked Edge is meant for those of us who want to take a serious step farther than the ordinary sharpener. If you truly intend to limit your use to the few knives you have in your home, you would do well enough with one of the more ordinary systems.

If, however, you dream of achieving edges beyond the reach of your buddies, or for that matter the entire crowd at the local gun/knife shows, you’ve found nirvana. This is a truly unique forum, where you have access to friends who freely share their learnings and the process is a continuous growth toward excellence. You don’t need magical skills, just determination.

And for Josh:

I’m writing this in Florida, where I’m shopping for a snowbird home. How’s your new shop coming along?

Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

Both well said. You could just do what I did. Buy the Pro Pack 1 with the upgrade arms. That saves you a little and you get the good arms. Then you can end up buying all that is in the pro pack 2 within a year and more anyway..lol.

:woohoo: As Tom said, This is for the ultamate in sharpening. If you are even thinking about going down the mirrored edge rabbit hole, save yourself the future creep and get the pro pack 2.

If you just want crazy sharp blow your friends mind..pro pack one will do the trick for sure.

I took 3 blades to a knife gathering of many knife “experts” and aficionados. These guys live and breathe knives. All 3 blades were very sharp. One blade was hair whittling sharp. Yes, able to split hairs lengthwise.

The others were not but would cut paper like no ones business. Only 2 people passed the test of which blade was the sharpest. One was a fellow Wicked Edge owner and the other one Just knew some good edge tests. 99% of the people out there can not tell when you get to the highest level of sharpness you can achieve with the Wicked Edge.

So…how far down the rabbit hole do you want to go? You can take the blue pill..PP1 with arm upgrade…or the white pill…PP2. 👿

Welcome!

Andrew
    Participant

Many thanks for your replies guys.

They’ve all been very informative and helpful. I know having read through the forum
    that you all have that bug. You started small then got hooked big due to the impressive results.

Fully understandable. You cant beat quality. Quality is unfortunately addictive 😛

jimbo45
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 39

why is the price difference so much I thought it was only $200 or so?

Darragh O’Flaherty
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 15

This is the exact same thing i went through but having bought the Pro Pack 1, I am delighted with the results. It gets a serious edge on all my knives, I will upgrade the arms and probably the clamp at some stage but the Pro pack 1 should be more than enough for what you want, it has for me so far anyway.
    My advice is to get the angle cube as I found the only problem was the degree bar was off but this is to do with height of blade etc.

Andrew
    Participant

This is the exact same thing i went through but having bought the Pro Pack 1, I am delighted with the results. It gets a serious edge on all my knives, I will upgrade the arms and probably the clamp at some stage but the Pro pack 1 should be more than enough for what you want, it has for me so far anyway.
    My advice is to get the angle cube as I found the only problem was the degree bar was off but this is to do with height of blade etc.

Do you find the 800/1000 stones good for chefs knives? Do you feel you need 1200/1600?

I’d bought an angle cube for a cheap sharpener I bought, so just need a decent and consistent sharpener.

Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

The 800 and 1000 are as high as I go with kitchen knifes. I want a little toothy edge on them. I still stand by buying pp1 with upgraded arms to save you money in the long run.

Andrew
    Participant

The 800 and 1000 are as high as I go with kitchen knifes. I want a little toothy edge on them. I still stand by buying pp1 with upgraded arms to save you money in the long run.

I’m most likely going to go with your advice. A reasonably priced system. I seen you can get the WE system. Obviously basic, but even adding the 800/1000 stones to make almost the same as the PP1. Only thing you don’t get is the base. Might go with that. I can knock up a base. Saves £120/$190

Then add the arms.

Good advice, Thanks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.