Advanced Search

PPII Arms Ball Joints (Old Style)

Recent Forums Main Forum PPII Arms Ball Joints (Old Style)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    darkzero
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 7

It appears that I have the older gold colored ball joints. What’s the difference between the new ball joints & the old ball joints?

I tried searching & only saw a post where Clay said the older ones have nylon inserts. What do the newer ones use for the bushing? Are they more like heim joints used in automotive that are all steel construction?

Mine don’t drop freely like the new ones seem to do but I kind of like it that way. I feel like the tightness of nylon inserts help keeps debris out by acting as a wiper. I’m still going to install some boots though.

My main reason for asking is cause I notice when I adjust the ball joints in & out I notice that they wobble a bit. Not as in loose thread fit but it seems like they weren’t threaded very concentric.

Can I order just the new ball joints separately to try & compare?

Thanks

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Not sure about the nylon, but early on I buggered up the wrench end of my micro-adjusts when I was trying something stupid.  As I am loathe to ask for support on something that’s my fault, I ordered a pair of bronze insert joints from McMaster (6072K155 @ $5.42 ea).  I also got a batch of long stainless 1/4-28 set screws.  I epoxied a pair in the bores.  Yes, they have a bit of run-out and cause the wobble you describe, but they work beautifully.  The end of the set screw extends out of the support block and I like that I can see it, as it makes it a bit easier to insert my wrench.  It also helps that there is no hex nut on the adjustment.  This leaves a longer thread for more range of adjustment.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    darkzero
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 7

Great idea! You gave me an idea to make my own now too. That’s one of the things I wish were different, a longer range of adjustment. With my Gen3 vise & new bar scale, the degrees are still off. By making my own I can make it so the scale is more accurate. I’m going to order a set on my next Mcmaster order. Thanks!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.