Advanced Search

Please help!

Recent Forums Main Forum Off Topic Please help!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Isaac Webster
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 0

Ok so when I first got my ceramics in I noticed that one of them was very hard to move up and down the rod and the other one felt very bumpy along the blade. Now about a half a week later I noticed that now I can barley even move one of the ceramics on the rod and it’s basically useless, so I can only really use one and switch it when I’m sharpening. I have tried all sorts of lube but it doesn’t help it at all really. I looked down through the hole and I saw that it wasn’t straight so I think that’s the problem I’m having. Will the warranty replace they or will I have to buy a new set?

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Give them a call

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Warranty will cover that… give Clay or Kyle a call, I am sure they will fix you right up.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

If your other blocks move up and down easily on the rods, it would mean that the hole in the new block isn’t straight or is contaminated with something.

I found that one of my new rods (after upgrading to PP2) would occasionally seem sticky; some blocks would not traverse smoothly during their strokes. (Hey, come to think of it, the ceramic blocks were the worst!) I took the rod out and rolled it on a flat surface (my granite block used for polishing woodworking blades) and found that it was bent. As I rolled it, I could see daylight under the rod at certain positions. I marked the high point with a Sharpie and smacked it a few times with a 1-lb dead-blow hammer until it seemed to roll true on the granite surface. Problem fixed.

Yes, I could have asked for a warranty replacement, but I’m a hard-headed 5th generation German who refuses to accept that any problem exists that couldn’t be fixed by putting me in charge.

I think that Voodoo guy must be German, too. Germans are kinda anal about mechanical things, and his are beautiful.

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

Ok so when I first got my ceramics in I noticed that one of them was very hard to move up and down the rod and the other one felt very bumpy along the blade. Now about a half a week later I noticed that now I can barley even move one of the ceramics on the rod and it’s basically useless, so I can only really use one and switch it when I’m sharpening. I have tried all sorts of lube but it doesn’t help it at all really. I looked down through the hole and I saw that it wasn’t straight so I think that’s the problem I’m having. Will the warranty replace they or will I have to buy a new set?

I, too, had a sticky paddle. When I called Customer Service at http://www.oldawan.com/ I was given a choice.

I could either send it (the set of two) OR I could try running a rat tail file through it a few times first to see if that would help. If it didn’t help; then send them back.

Less than 20 strokes of the file, a little lube and my paddle is fine and has never again shown signs of being sticky….

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.