Advanced Search

Paramilitary 2 Sharpening

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Paramilitary 2 Sharpening

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Zach
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 5

Looking for a little advice here.

I’m sharpening my Para 2 on the wicked edge w/ 34 degree inclusive angle. Seem to be having some difficulty at the heel. There is a very small area at the heel that the stones don’t hit. I clamp at position 2 and line it up to B. any advice would be appreciated.

don griffith
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 51

Well, short of putting choil to grinder or hand sharpening the area on a bench stone, what is it about that area that needs sharpening? It seems quite small. I know I’ll face the same issue with my Spydies when my WEPS gets here, but aside from aesthetics what would someone cut with that small length?

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 342

Try turning the stone so the corner of it gets in there. There may not be enough room, though….

Zach
    Participant

Well, short of putting choil to grinder or hand sharpening the area on a bench stone, what is it about that area that needs sharpening? It seems quite small. I know I’ll face the same issue with my Spydies when my WEPS gets here, but aside from aesthetics what would someone cut with that small length?

Doesn’t affect function but bugs me cause the rest of the knife has a beautiful mirror polish.

Zach
    Participant

Try turning the stone so the corner of it gets in there. There may not be enough room, though….

Not enough room choil is in the way.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I know exactly what you’re talking about, the rim of the tray that holds the stone hits the choil which blocks the stone from the last 1/8″ of blade. You could trim the plastic away, or pick up a couple Choseras, they’re thick enough that the tray doesn’t interfere with the choil. I’ll scratch my brain for other solutions too and get back to you if anything presents itself.

-Clay

Michael
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 1

I know exactly what you’re talking about, the rim of the tray that holds the stone hits the choil which blocks the stone from the last 1/8″ of blade. You could trim the plastic away, or pick up a couple Choseras, they’re thick enough that the tray doesn’t interfere with the choil. I’ll scratch my brain for other solutions too and get back to you if anything presents itself.

I’ve just bought a few Para 2’s and will be facing this too. A picture of how much to trim would be helpful.

Rafael Jorge
    Participant
    • Replies: 4

What if you take the knife apart and mount just the blade on the WEPS?

Zach
    Participant

What if you take the knife apart and mount just the blade on the WEPS?

Wouldn’t change anything as the stone mount would still hit the choil.

CAWalter
    Participant
    • Replies: 16

Same here and sanded part of the tray off to the stone edge on the 400 & 600 just to keep this area even with the rest. Could do it to all the stones, but 600 in that first 1/8″ seems to be fine.

CAW

Mark
    Participant
    • Replies: 2

Sorry to dig up an old thread here but I have the exact same issue sharpening my PM2 and was wondering if:

A. Will the new arm upgrade help this issue? I have one on order. I suspect it won’t but thought I would ask.

B. Other than sanding the plastic on the diamond hones or using the Choseras, are there any other options that would work with the diamond/ceramic stone?

BTW, love my WE and with a little experience and patience I can get edges better than I ever have in years of other methods 🙂

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Hey Mark, welcome to the forum!

It’s not the exact same knife, but I think if you mount the knife so that the edge is more parallel to the clamp, like I showed a few posts down in this thread…

http://wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=9&id=7126&Itemid=63

It should also create better clearance in this area.

Let me know if that works or not.

Mark
    Participant
    • Replies: 2

Hey Mark, welcome to the forum!

It’s not the exact same knife, but I think if you mount the knife so that the edge is more parallel to the clamp, like I showed a few posts down in this thread…

http://wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=9&id=7126&Itemid=63

It should also create better clearance in this area.

Let me know if that works or not.

Thanks! I’m new to this forum but have been using my WE for a little over a year now. Great resource you have here in the forum!

I tried different mounting positions in combination with both depth locations and no luck. The plastic of the handle hits the pointy bit on the choil by the ricasso as shown in the first photo in this thread, making it not possible to use the stone on that last part of the blade.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.