Advanced Search

Organizational Strategies

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Organizational Strategies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Devron Limerick
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3

I did not know where to put this as it is not a suggestion for a case to be sold by wicked edge, but more of what I found while trying to get a cheap and effective solution for organising and storing my sharpening gear.

First I wanted to get something that would hold my paddles. A visit to the container stor netted me the perfect box to hold 4 sets of paddles. The item is an IRIS in the office business card file. This plastic card case is the EXACT size of 4 pairs of paddles. It is a ridiculously perfect fit with no play but still makes getting the paddles out easy. It measures 4 7/16″ x 6 5/16″ x 3 1/8″ and retails for $5.99 each. Not only is does it have a simple hinged top with clasp, but it is stackable and locks into another unit below it perfectly. The box is also vented on the bottom if you need to store damp waterstones.

Next, I wanted a cheap storage solution for the WE sharpener itself, as well as my storage bins from above. I dont need a $200 Pelican case with custom foam, but need something secure and transportable to move it room to room or take to a friend’s house. Solution? Also at the Container Store… Large SmartStore Tote 50x39x18cm is a perfect solution and only casts $14.99 retail.

It fits the Base across its narrow end like it was made for it. It has two rows of troughs on the outside that are lower that perfectly fit the rubber feet, yet the raised center section supports the base of the stone at the same time. The lid is 1/4″ from the top of the vice when the lid is attached and locked into place. This does leave a gap to one side though… which perfectly fits two of the handle boxes from above when turned long end to the base. Again it fits so well it is like it was made to do it. There will be a gap for additional supplies, but I am looking for a box to fit in that gap.

Got even more stones that 8 paddles worth? The paddle boxes from above are stackable and interlock. You can place two of them lengthwise, next to the base, in the large plastic bin and stack them 2 high. This allows for storage of up to 16 paddle sets. But there would be a gap when they are oriented that way… yet again there is an oddly built in solution. When you attach the lid there is an indent for the clasp that holds the lid on. This perfectly takes up the space that would allow the stacked units to slide to the side. The stacked boxes are so close to the lid top (with practically no slack) that the stacked paddle boxes are forced to stay interlocked. You can fit something like a partial roll of paper towels off to that side too to to use that gap.

Now, this is not something that is a padded, locked, or otherwise super robust carry case… but for those looking for a cheap and effective solution for storage of paddles, accessoroes and the WE sharpener that you dont have to worry about coming apart on you as you take it rook to room, it is the best low budget choice. How else can you store your WE and its accessoroes with such a well fitted case for under $28?

If you have any other organisational gear please post it here.

Marion
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 41

Great idea! Perfect for storing about the shop, to keep everything together and out of the way.

TonyJ
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 7

I found a Tactix 320000 storage box in the local Bunnings hardware for A$7. It has removeable partitions that allow for a degree of cusotomisation. As you can see from the photos it can fit all the stones, a Wixey and other bits and pieces like it was made for the WE. I have lined the compartments with 3mm foam and use plastic strips to keep the stones separate.

The same box is available in the US http://www.dktools.com/tactix.htm

I have also constructed (perhaps constructed is a bit of an overstatement) from a piece of scrap timber and some 6mm aluminium rod a stone holder for the workshop after getting sick of having all my stones scattered around the WE when I am sharpening.

Tony

Devron Limerick
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3

The adjustability is a great feature on that case and $7 is dirt cheap. Really like the paddle holder idea too. Keep the ideas coming guys.

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 342

I love the paddle holder idea, Tony! :woohoo:

Bruce Guignard
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 15

I just found a plastic case in the fishing isle at WalMart that is working quite well.

It is made by Flambeau and costs about $6.

It’s 14 x 8 x 2 and has 4 pernament sections (14″ wide) and particians for multiple subsections. I have 6 sections that are 7″ wide that hold the paddel stones (I now have 4 sets with one more set on order)and other equipment. I have another compartment that is wide enough to hold the arms.

Of course, it does not hold the vice and base, but that unit sets will on top of this plastic box.

My wife like my gear more organized, too.

Bruce

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I found a Tactix 320000 storage box in the local Bunnings hardware for A$7. It has removeable partitions that allow for a degree of cusotomisation. As you can see from the photos it can fit all the stones, a Wixey and other bits and pieces like it was made for the WE. I have lined the compartments with 3mm foam and use plastic strips to keep the stones separate.

The same box is available in the US http://www.dktools.com/tactix.htm

I have also constructed (perhaps constructed is a bit of an overstatement) from a piece of scrap timber and some 6mm aluminium rod a stone holder for the workshop after getting sick of having all my stones scattered around the WE when I am sharpening.

Tony

Awesome!

-Clay

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.