Advanced Search

official owner of a Wicked Edge sharpener

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started official owner of a Wicked Edge sharpener

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Bob
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 9

Hello forum family! Its happened. I am the proud owner of a Wicked Edge sharpener! Before i made the leap i had a lot of questions (thank you MarcH & tcmeyer) and watched hours of videos and read and reread the articles and post in the forum. I wanted a decent spot in my home to set up my sharpener and believe it or not that launched me into a remodeling project in my basement. Before i could set my bench i needed a to finish the wall behind it and before i covered the wall you have to insulate and run some new electrical… well a little over 3 weeks and i’m putting the finishing touches on my lair. I will post a before & after picture at the end of this week/weekend. Bob from Oldawan took care of me with a WE130 pro pack w/granite base. I use the glass lens of an old movie projector for my magnifier. It works well and gives me a big area of viewing since its about 2 ½ “ in diameter and 4″ long its easy to hold. My 1st knife through the entire process was a 5″ Pampered Chef, well up to 1000 grit, no stropping, yet. It was the 3rd knife in the clamp but the 1st knife i completed successfully. I’m not ashamed to say the jaws already have a kiss from my 400 grit stones. The knife was set too low in the jaws- oops! I enjoyed it. I think even more than i thought i would and the end result is fantastic! I am impressed! what a great system. Glad i ordered what i did and can now build from here. There is a wealth of knowledge in this forum and i’m grateful you’ve all shared. There is something therapeutic to blade sharpening and i really enjoy it. Looking forward to getting settled in and set up. Thank God elk are tough, or i’d probably be in a different system!

5 users thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Welcome Bob!

-Clay

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Bob
    David
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 37

Welcome Bob

William
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 38

Welcome aboard!  I recently joined the club myself.   The knowledge here and the willingness to help is beyond top notch.   Who knew sharpening a knife could be fun and rewarding? 🙂

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Bob
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 9

Hey William, welcome as well. I told Bob from Oldawan when i was talking to him on the phone how i had just read your post about you purchasing your WE from him! I ordered mine a couple days later. This forum is like having your own personal hotline directly to the most knowledgeable people in the industry, with archive access. “wicked” cool! I feel more confident knowing the support we have here. I wish you the best with lots of success. maybe someday you and i will be helping out the new members! I’m on the look out for knifes to practice on and help to break in my stones.  the kitchenette at work has trove of victims in the drawers and tag sales. Stay in touch, don’t forget to buy band-aides ha ha ..

Dale Wachholz
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 27

Yep,  welcome aboard.  This is a good place to be.

I like to take a black sharpie to my clamp when needed.  That way I can tell right away if the stones have been kissing it.

Keep reading.  The amount of good information here is crazy.

Dale

William
    Participant

Hey William, welcome as well. I told Bob from Oldawan when i was talking to him on the phone how i had just read your post about you purchasing your WE from him! I ordered mine a couple days later. This forum is like having your own personal hotline directly to the most knowledgeable people in the industry, with archive access. “wicked” cool! I feel more confident knowing the support we have here. I wish you the best with lots of success. maybe someday you and i will be helping out the new members! I’m on the look out for knifes to practice on and help to break in my stones. the kitchenette at work has trove of victims in the drawers and tag sales. Stay in touch, don’t forget to buy band-aides ha ha ..

Thanks!  Bob at Oldawan is top notch.  If something isn’t right, he will make it right.   I too, looking for knives to sharpen.   I think I’m on the 3rd sharpening of the same knife.   It’s a beater and isn’t quite right yet.   So, I will keep at it or until there is no more steel! 🤣

Several things I learned here that’s been a great help so far:  USB microscope or at the very least, a jewelers loupe.  I’m getting decent results from a lighted, 10x loupe from Amazon.   Just got my microscope, jury still out.

Blue shop towels (Home Depot) and spray bottle of 91% alcohol.   Not good bourbon.

Stone bumper stops.  You can get 7/8” rubber feet from HD for less than $3.  Evebilt, Model 49131.  They come in a package of 4.   Just ream the hole with a 1/4” drill bit.  Not one scratch on the side of the clamp or knife and they don’t move.

If you don’t have storage for your stones, MarcH might still be selling stone racks.  You will have to ask him.  I made my own as I had almost all the tools and even the wooden dowels.   Picked up a cheap base (cutting board) from BB&B.

Anyway, just a few things that are helping me, along with a good playlist of  melt your brains classic rock.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I think I’m on the 3rd sharpening of the same knife. It’s a beater and isn’t quite right yet. So, I will keep at it or until there is no more steel!

William would you care to share with the Forum what’s going on with that knife that “isn’t quite right”?  It’s helpful to us all to understand sharpening difficulties, especially for new users like Bob.  It lets us learn, along with you, while you’re working it out.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

William
    Participant
    I think I’m on the 3rd sharpening of the same knife. It’s a beater and isn’t quite right yet. So, I will keep at it or until there is no more steel!
    William would you care to share with the Forum what’s going on with that knife that “isn’t quite right”? It’s helpful to us all to understand sharpening difficulties, especially for new users like Bob. It lets us learn, along with you, while you’re working it out.

Marc, you read my mind!  I was going to post on this particular knife for critique so I may improve.   I will be posting in Techniques and Strategies.   I dont want to hijack Bob’s thread.  🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.