Advanced Search

Next Level

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Next Level

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mike Menendez
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 6

Ok I have he Pro Pack 1 and have sharpened a few blades but still a rookie but I want to take things to the next level and get a mirrored edge what stones or such do I need?

Thanks

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

You have mirror finishes within your grasp with what you have. Use your ceramics to good purpose.
    Of course you can become a molecule polisher like some here (eh Mark76! LOL!) I will let him/them imbue you with their knowledge. You wll soon be inundated with suggestions. 😉

Leo

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

You have mirror finishes within your grasp with what you have. Use your ceramics to good purpose.
    Of course you can become a molecule polisher like some here (eh Mark76! LOL!) I will let him/them imbue you with their knowledge. You wll soon be inundated with suggestions. 😉

Leo

Leo, I don’t think Tricia got ceramics with Pro Pack 1? Maybe I have missed something?

Tricia,
    The big answer around here is “it depends” what your goal is? Some guys here believe that a “mirror finish” is just that, what you would see in a mirror. There are others that are happy with a really super duper shine most would say it is mirror? Then some guys think a mirror edge can be achieved with 1000 stone and strops? So “it depends?”
    The “mirror” shine requires a set of Chosera or Shapton water stones and that is pretty expensive! But you will look and see in the edge just like a mirror. Next the super duper shiney can be had by getting the ceramic stones and again there is two levels here…two sets of ceramic stones (again $$) or just one 1200/1600. (For what it’s worth most everyone is happy with this option) The last option is using strops and these you can mix and match? Personally I have had really good luck using a combo of balsa and kangaroo. This also makes for a scary sharp blade as well! I have used 10/14 balsa with 5/3.5 roo with great success! And you just wont believe how sharp the blade will become? But that is a different thread?
    So you see it depends and only you and your checkbook know for sure? My suggestion is start out slow and see what you like? If you want more you can always buy more. I wish you luck, ask lots of questions and by the way welcome to the rabbit hole. 😛 :whistle: :woohoo:

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

You take the red pill and you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.
    I couldn’t resist that!

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

You take the red pill and you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.
    I couldn’t resist that!

Well played, Morphius!

Ken

Mike Menendez
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 6

Ok so far what I read is I need to buy the ceramic stones 1200/1600. Also anyone know how to change your screen name?? My wife purchased my Wicked edge for me as a gift now I have her screen name.

Thanks

Mike

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Ok so far what I read is I need to buy the ceramic stones 1200/1600. Also anyone know how to change your screen name?? My wife purchased my Wicked edge for me as a gift now I have her screen name.

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,
    Look at the very top of the screem. See the “Edit account” in about the middle. Open that and your info will come up. Change anything you want from there. And welcome to forum!

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

“Tricia”:

I started out with the three PP1 sets: 100/200, 400/600, 800/1000), then added the 1200/1600 ceramic stones. I also bought a pair of strops with the 5/3.5 diamond pastes. Frankly, the ceramic stones never “felt right” although the scratch patterns seemed uniform enough. They still “feel scratchy” to me. The strops polish up the bevels very nicely and I think you’d be very happy with the results.

I’ve since bought the “micro-fine” ceramic stones. They were very rough when new, but I scrubbed them together face-to-face and now they work beautifully. I also bought another set of strops and a bottle of the 0.5 micron spray slurry. Probably overkill for someone who does it for fun.

What’s not clear to everybody is that you don’t need to stone out every trace of grit lines to reach a polished condition. You can polish an edge to look really mirror-like, but if you look at it under a microscope, you’ll see all kinds of scratch marks. I’d get a set of strops and the 5/3.5 pastes and look at the results they produce. If you still think you need to, buy a set of something to fill in the grit gap.

And thank you for clearing up the issue of your username. I was thinking that I’d have to stop using the term “gents” when addressing my fellow forum residents.

Say hi to Tricia and thank her for helping you to join our forum.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.