Advanced Search

New User – Cannot get curves sharp

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies New User – Cannot get curves sharp

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Justin Lanham
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Hi all. I just upgraded to a Wicked Edge, read all the instructions, watched a bunch of videos, read a bunch of threads, practiced on some kitchen knives, then moved on to my folders. The problem I am having is that I cannot get the curve near the tip of my knives sharp. The straight part of the blade will remove hair without touching skin, but the curved part will not shave at all, and will barely cut paper cleanly. I have tried several knives of different lengths and shapes, as well as different angles, but I keep getting the same results. Razor sharp until you get to the tip!

Sorry for the newb question, but does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance! B)

Gary Crumb
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 119

Have you been pulling a burr, even at the tip? Also pay close attention to how far you place the knife in the vice in relation to the tip. If you are too far forward in the vice, the tip ends up with a different angle and it’s possible you might not be able to apex without removing a lot of metal. Most of my folders are at A or A.5 on the alignment guide.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Welcome to the forum. Not a newb question at all.

Sounds like you might not be hitting the curve properly? Take a look at this page Finding the sweet spot and see if this helps.

Justin Lanham
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Started moving the knives further back in the vice, and all is well. Thanks guys! :cheer:

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.