Advanced Search

New Swede on the block

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat New Swede on the block

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Macke
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 1

Hi everyone!

I’ve got myself a WE PROPACK 2. I’ve been sharpening knifes and axes by hand for many years, but never with a system like this..  Only just byfreehanding.  I sharpen knifes mostly for friends who are hunters and myself, so I’m not used to having 8-10 different grits and strops.. Only 2 🙂

Mirrored polishing seems nice but isn’t something I need for my knifes, I need them to be sharp and keep the sharpness through skin and meat. You got any tips for the huntsman from the Swedish woods?  🙂

Hapslappy
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 30

Hello and welcome aboard. Many good people here with thousands of tips and tricks. We are always learning from and teaching  one another .

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

No. you don’t really need mirror-polished bevels for utilitarian work.  Some are very happy with a 600-grit edge, but I prefer a 1000-grit edge.  It seems that whichever knife is in my pocket will be called on to slice open an envelope now and then and it’s particularly satisfying to have that cut be extremely smooth.

For skinning I’ve been told that more obtuse angles will help to avoid accidental cut-throughs – maybe 25 to 28 degrees per side.  I’ll polish a 20 dps bevel, then put in a 1000-grit microbevel at maybe 25 dps.  For butchering, I stay with 20 dps.

While a 600 to 1000 grit edge will cut meat extremely efficiently, I think a polished bevel with a toothy microbevel will help it to slide thru the meat more easily.  Clay Allison had said that a 200 grit microbevel works great.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Welcome to the forum! You’ll definitely enjoy your WEPS. You definitely don’t need mirror edges on your hunting knives, but it’s fun to see what you’re able to do with this system. My tip: experiment with the finish and see what you like most. Many hunters like quite a coarse finish, since it’ll keep the knife in a workable condition longer. But as Tom said, a polished bevel with a more toothy microbevel may work even better for your purposes. And please share your experiences. We’ve had quite a number of discussions on similar topics here.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.