Advanced Search

New rods and riser

Recent Forums Main Forum Product Announcements New rods and riser

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Wayne Clark
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Hey everyone,

Any update on the new rods and riser for the wicked edge system? I have a system I purchased October 2011. Also, are these rods etc. adaptable to my system?? if so when will they be available do you believe?

Thanks, happy customer,
    Wayne

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Hey Wayne,

I’ll be discussing it tomorrow with the machine shop and should have a good ETA after that conversation. The new arms will be compatible with your system, installing then will take about a minute, mostly just adding the riser. There will be a two degree offset of angle, so the angle stated on the bar will be two degrees higher than what you’re getting.

Hey everyone,

Any update on the new rods and riser for the wicked edge system? I have a system I purchased October 2011. Also, are these rods etc. adaptable to my system?? if so when will they be available do you believe?

Thanks, happy customer,
    Wayne

-Clay

Mathew Whaley
    Participant
    • Replies: 22

I ordered the pro-pack back in the beginning of June and it’s on backorder until August, will it be shipping with the new rods or the old ones?

Ralph Honeycutt
    Participant
    • Replies: 24

Does the new arm modification require the riser to be installed? If we do not need the riser to achieve more acute angles afforded by the riser, can we continue to use the original vise (as is) without the riser? Now that I have sharpened several knives, I would like to be sure that I can touch up the edge of previously sharpened and achieve the same WE results without having to reprofile with the new riser.

Thanks,

Ralph

wickededge
    Keymaster

I ordered the pro-pack back in the beginning of June and it’s on backorder until August, will it be shipping with the new rods or the old ones?

Matthew, that’s a good question, one we’ve been getting a lot lately. The Basic Kit and Pro-Pack I will continue to ship with the regular arms for the foreseeable future; they work great and adding the new ones to those kits would make them prohibitively expensive. I’ve gotten great results with the current arms/joints for the last 4 years, and the design really works well. The new arms/joints will be available as upgrades to the Basic Kit and Pro-Pack I.

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

Hey Ralph, that’s another good question. You can use the new arms without the riser, but then the left one interferes with the Vise Key when adjusting the lower screw, so you have to slide the left arm out to mount and unmount the knife. If you do use the riser, you won’t have to re-profile the blades because you just make the two degree adjustment on the Base Rod and then micro-adjust with the angle for a perfect match. If you don’t use the riser, you’ll have to put up with moving the left side a little more often.

Does the new arm modification require the riser to be installed? If we do not need the riser to achieve more acute angles afforded by the riser, can we continue to use the original vise (as is) without the riser? Now that I have sharpened several knives, I would like to be sure that I can touch up the edge of previously sharpened and achieve the same WE results without having to reprofile with the new riser.

Thanks,

Ralph

-Clay

Ralph Honeycutt
    Participant
    • Replies: 24

Clay, Many thanks. I just wanted to know what I will be getting into. I placed my phone order with Kay a couple of weeks ago.

Ralph

wickededge
    Keymaster

You’re welcome Ralph. I’ll be putting out a video in the next week or so showing how the new arms/joints work to try and answer some of the questions that will come up.

Clay, Many thanks. I just wanted to know what I will be getting into. I placed my phone order with Kay a couple of weeks ago.

Ralph

-Clay

Taras Shevchenko
    Participant
    • Replies: 18

And what minimum angle will be achievable with this modification? If the angle offset is 2 degrees does it mean that minimum will be 13 instead of 15 per side?

wickededge
    Keymaster

Hi Taras,

You’re correct that the minimum will be 13 degrees per side on knives that extend 5/8″ (15.875mm) above the top of the vise jaws.

And what minimum angle will be achievable with this modification? If the angle offset is 2 degrees does it mean that minimum will be 13 instead of 15 per side?

-Clay

Taras Shevchenko
    Participant
    • Replies: 18

Thanks for clarification

Ziggy
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 177

Question:
    So Scandi grinds in the 10 – 11 field are out or is there a workaround?

wickededge
    Keymaster

Question:
    So Scandi grinds in the 10 – 11 field are out or is there a workaround?

We have another device we’re about to release that is perfect for single bevel and Scandi ground knives, but it’s not part of the arms/riser upgrade.

-Clay

Wayne Clark
    Participant
    • Replies: 1

Clay,
    Thank you for responded to my question about the new arms and riser. I can’t wait to get a look at them in your upcoming video. Your WE system is absolutely amazing. Once you get the hang of it ( and don’t give in) you become more aware of what your trying to accomplish and why.For me, it’s getting easier to perform the act of sharpening with outstanding results. It’s actually fun to learn what you to do( or at least think I need to do ) for different steels,S30v,S35v,M4,Vg-10,ZPD-189,..etc. I respect the fact that your still trying to improve your already successful system. I look forward to the new product. And congratulation on your 2012 award.

Thanks,
    Wayne

Ziggy
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 177

Got it.
    As I’m now pretty much running off the angle cubes, just need to get the rise and pass the bolt if the blade is thin or with what I say your first experiment I saw, that addon in the top of the vice raising the knife and you getting 9 or less degrees off it.

A vertical one side level for Sushi knives, Emersons, if that’s what your thinking, would be stunning.

That would be SWEET!

Put me on the list 🙂

YOu add convex scissors and go up the next level to a seat next to the big guy!
    Serrated and you get the seat 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.