Advanced Search

New Rabbit Hole

Recent Forums Main Forum Off Topic New Rabbit Hole

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

Well, I now have some 1084, 1095, and AEB-L steel in some 48″ lengths. Today I finally got this “station” set up. Tuesday I have a friend whom is a Physicist, heat treater, and knife maker coming over to grind out 2 of his knifes and teach me the basics. Hopefully my 2 flex neck lamps show up so I have good lighting on the grinder. I have been working to Transform my Garage for the last 2 weekends. Now I will actually have room to work, and the Metal stuff will be away from the Wood stuff. Been a long couple of weeks. Now, hopefully I can start to Play again with some knives!

Attachments:
    Josh Berresheim
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 12

Sweet!

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Eric: Can you give us an overhead view of the machine?

Zamfir
    Participant

Well, here is I think what you are looking for. The first picture was of the machine with it in horizontal mode. I put the different attachments onto it and changed it to the vertical position and took some pictures.

Variable speed.. When on slow it creeps..awesome. nice and quiet. Next is to add the cool mist and associated fluid contraptions so I can grind on hardened stuff too.

Here are the other pictures.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

That is some serious stuff! Hope you have a lot of fun with it.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

That’s awesome Eric!! Excited for you :woohoo: What did you decide for a trough for the coolant side of things?

jsyk that is my grail of grinders… hope to get one some day :silly:

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Looks like a real power house awesome .

Zamfir
    Participant

Not sure on the water trough yet. I want to see how Brian uses it tomorrow and use it myself a bit before taking a bite out of that part.

I have spent all this time getting everything set up right.

Tomorrow is the dive in and using it on steel rather than plastic. :woohoo:

Zamfir
    Participant

Ohh My! That is so much fun! Thank God I have all the experience I do currently with the Wicked Edge. Every subtle little movement and pressure is transmitted to effect what is going on with the blade.

With the Wicked Edge we are going by hand, and only dealing with the edge. Making a knife is the same thing but at a larger scale!

Thank god the Wicked Edge has the guide rods to keep one part of the body mechanics equation constant. That way we can concentrate first on stroke, stone twist, leading or trailing edge passes, grit progression, and left to right hand pressure differences..all building in muscle memory to get better and better and more efficient at sharpening. All of these same things go into play making a knife but at a larger scale and since it is a fast moving belt, the little tiny variations in twist, or drag, or pressure and angle can make a huge difference!

This is awesome and I am even more glad I have a Wicked Edge now than ever!

Josh
    Participant

Ohh My! That is so much fun! Thank God I have all the experience I do currently with the Wicked Edge. Every subtle little movement and pressure is transmitted to effect what is going on with the blade.

With the Wicked Edge we are going by hand, and only dealing with the edge. Making a knife is the same thing but at a larger scale!

Thank god the Wicked Edge has the guide rods to keep one part of the body mechanics equation constant. That way we can concentrate first on stroke, stone twist, leading or trailing edge passes, grit progression, and left to right hand pressure differences..all building in muscle memory to get better and better and more efficient at sharpening. All of these same things go into play making a knife but at a larger scale and since it is a fast moving belt, the little tiny variations in twist, or drag, or pressure and angle can make a huge difference!

This is awesome and I am even more glad I have a Wicked Edge now than ever!

You are exactly right Eric… Every subtle pressure makes a difference on the blade. Sometimes you almost just have to think, “I need a little more pressure THERE” and not even really have to do it and it will happen lol. You will have to post some pics up of your first knives after you get to that point!

Zamfir
    Participant

I will Thanks Josh! He was nice enough to leave a big Bowie he cut out for us to practice on. I will take a picture of what it is now, and then Do some grinding on it so you can see what was done. All kinds of interesting tips. My mind was saturated within the 3 hours of watching and listening. Now I need to practice!

Josh
    Participant

I will Thanks Josh! He was nice enough to leave a big Bowie he cut out for us to practice on. I will take a picture of what it is now, and then Do some grinding on it so you can see what was done. All kinds of interesting tips. My mind was saturated within the 3 hours of watching and listening. Now I need to practice!

So where are those pics anyway? 😛 😉

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

So where are those pics anyway? 😛 ;)[/quote]

Yeah, we’ve been waiting!

Zamfir
    Participant

Fair enough. This is where it stands now. I have not done anything to it since me and my friend got a lesson. So from here on it will be all my work. I have not had the time to touch it since! Stupid 2jobs.

Josh
    Participant

Fair enough. This is where it stands now. I have not done anything to it since me and my friend got a lesson. So from here on it will be all my work. I have not had the time to touch it since! Stupid 2jobs.

LOL I hear ya on the job thing… I just recently quit and went full time into my business! pretty exciting… or scary depending on how you look at it hehe.

Thanks for the pics! So is the first one hollow ground?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.