Advanced Search

New Owner with question about hand protection

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat New Owner with question about hand protection

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Joseph Chapman III
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 3

Hello All,
    My name is Joe and have had Pro Pack II sharpener since Christmas. I was a good boy this past year :). I have been reading all the topics on the board extensively and picking up on the knowledge of all that have contributed.
    Here’s the question:
    For those of you that use gloves to protect yourself from accidently getting cut while sharpening, what do you recommend? I would think that the gloves would have to be good fitting and also allow enough sensitivity for one to be able to feel the stones work. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
    You have probably figured it out about why I am asking the question. Yep, I had one of those gotcha moments.
    Thanks in advance all,
    Joe

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Tuffybraithwaite seems to use gloves on a regular basis. Hopefully he’ll respond.

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Uline Ansell Kevlar Gloves – the sizes are quite small so I would recommend Large or bigger . Tuffy sent me a couple of pairs they are not too thick and offer a reasonable amount of protection I would still recommend been careful of the points .

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hey Joe, welcome to the forum!

I don’t use any protection when sharpening. If you are reasonably careful, I don’t think it’s necessary.

But if you want to use protection, I did a blog post on it: http://moleculepolishing.wordpress.com/2012/08/12/554/

Conclusion: kevlar is good against slicing, but not against stabbing.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Joseph Chapman III
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 3

Thank You for the replies gentlemen. I will check into getting some Kevlar gloves. As mentioned, the key word is being careful and keeping focused on the task at hand. Mark, thanks for posting the link to the blog on the gloves. The end results of your testing now has me in the mood for chicken tonight.

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Hey welcome to the forum.

I don’t use protection (for sharpening anyway).

The WEPS stones have a nice plastic edge and a good grip. I can’t image wearing gloves as it would hinder the feedback that is so great from the WEPS. I have never had a serious cut on the WEPS,but the few times I got a little bite it was from something other than sharpening, i.e. checking the edge, moving around, putting tape on, etc.

When I started with the WEPS I was “careful” not to cut myself. I soon learned I needed to be more careful not to slice up the leather strops. The WEPS just works. You don’t need speed or power. The stones do the work and the system works well.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Replies: 2095

I’ve only had a couple of whoopses over the last two years. The worst nearly took of the tip of my right pinkie when I was sharpening a long straight jerky knife. As I neared the end of an up and away stroke, I got careless with the position of my pinkie. I learned to do straight edges in sections, so as not to have to deal with a floppy blade and also to keep my pinkies on the finger blocks, regardless of the knife.

One minor slice I got just the other day, when I was trying to wipe the dust from a pretty well sharpened edge so I could use the handheld microscope to check for chips. Dust particles will be drawn electrostatically to sharp metal edges and at 200X, they’ll hide a significant chip. Rags and lint-free paper towel weren’t doing the trick, so I tried a piece of that drawer liner foam that was laying nearby. As I moved it along the blade, the blade sliced right through it and into my index finger like a hot knife through, uh… your finger! Didn’t see that coming!!

Nicks and cuts are part of the job. Most important is to avoid the really nasty accidents, like severed tendons and nerves. I haven’t heard mention of any here, but I’ve only been on this forum regularly for a few months, so maybe there have been accidents. Best advice is to keep your workspace neat so that you’re never reaching across the far end of the blade. Don’t put anything over there that you might need.

Once you’ve removed a sharp knife from your vise, put it in its sheath or other container. If the owner didn’t provide a container, I’d place a strip of masking tape along the edge.

I am only a hobbyist. If I was doing it as a business, I’d certainly wear Kevlar gloves. Mark76’s blog
    convinced me of that.

By the way guys… My wife showed me that the best way to removed dust from a edge… is with a Swiffer duster! Looks dopey as hell, but it sure works. Gonna trade my denim apron for gingham.

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

🙁 do not leave home without them.

Ryan
    Participant
    • Topics: 13
    • Replies: 21

You know it isn’t a real bad idea to wear Kevlar gloves…I remember Bill Bagwell of the Bowie Knife fame tell me one day in his shop how he had a knife in a vice and reached around it to get something and caught his Radial Artery and bisected it. He threw a rag on it quickly and his wife made an improvised TQ and rushed him to the hospital. It scared the you know what out of him.

Anyway, the other day I was sharpening using the WES and I reached around and as I was returning to the vise I stopped and thought about how easy it is to catch the tip or edge and these knives are unforgivingly sharp! I keep a TQ near my work bench!

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Replies: 2095

Would Kevlar gloves have protected Mr Bagwell from cutting his radial artery? Either way, I’ve given myself the heebie-jeebies any number of times with close calls, but every one of those has been when I’ve reached past the tip of a sharpened, clamped knife.

Ryan
    Participant
    • Topics: 13
    • Replies: 21

It may not have…the Radial runs past the wrist into base of the thumb and palm almost into the first distal and joins the Ulnar to create a network of vessels. Regardless, I was only relaying an actual event where an injury actually occurred due to a knife suspended in a vise and an person working around the tip/front. I didn’t mean to imply wearing a glove would have prevented his injury…however the other day when I was returning to the vise had I proceeded I would have stuck myself and a glove definitely would have helped had it actually happened. Thank God it didn’t but it was a wake up call for me.

I’ve since re-organized my resources and my process to keep me from going in front of the blade and always working on the sides thus mitigating the exposure.

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Tuffy sent me some of these they are very comfortable and not so thick as to prevent feedback from the stones whilst sharpening.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.