Advanced Search

New newbie.

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat New newbie.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Joe Payer
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Good evening folks, as the title says I’m new to both this forum and to the WEPS. An understatement, the WEPS is an awesome piece of equipment! I received the basic kit early this month and I’m well into my learning curve and so far my only problem is in determining if I have formed a burr. Blades seem sharp but not necessarily sharp. Any and all input will be welcomed. Joe

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

If you use the alternating stroke method, you’ll have a harder time feeling a burr as it’s knocked off by the opposite stone. For a long time I didn’t even think I was producing burrs. The burr is the best evidence, short of a microscope, that you’ve reached the apex. It’s particularly important because if you aren’t working the apex, you’ll never get it truly sharp.

While there are a couple of reasons to stay with alternating strokes, many of us (my self included) have gone to working one side at a time. A big benefit of this is that burrs are easily detected. I do it simply because my eye-hand coordination has deteriorated over the years and prefers one-handed tasks. If you prefer the alternating stroke method, try finishing your sets with three or four strokes on one side – then feel for a burr. Then make three or four strokes with the other side and feel for a burr. Satisfied that you are raising burrs full-length on each side and that all visible chips and dings are gone, you can go the next grit in your progression.

Also, once you’ve reached the point where you know that you are working the entire length of the apex, subsequent grits require very little effort. For instance, when I know my 400 grit stones have produced a fully-developed apex, I may only need to make 6-10 light strokes with each of the 600, 800 and 1000 stones.

And welcome to the Wicked Edge forum. You’ll find that the resident curmudgeons are very pleasant fellows, all eager to share ideas and methods. Can’t be said of very many forums. Take full advantage and don’t be reticent.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.