Advanced Search

New here but not to knifes or sharpening

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat New here but not to knifes or sharpening

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Jason Reep
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 11

Got a WE pro pack II should be here tomorrow at least that is what the fed ex delivery says. I am excited to get to try it out have a edge pro with all the goodies works great but every one says the WE is better I hope so. I am sure it will make a great sharpening tool to add to my collection. Sure I will have ?’s when it gets here until then I will be reading a lot.

Jason

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Welcome, Hope you have a great time with your WEPS!

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Welcome Jason.
    I know everyone has their own preferences, but I own the EP and the WEPS.
    I rarely use the EP…as in not more than a couple of times in the last year.
    Do check out the WIKI.
    You can get there from the resources tab on the home page, or directly:

http://wickededgeusa.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Lots of good stuff there.

I think that you will find folks here to be eager to help out if you have any questions!!

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 164

Hi Jason welcome to the forum and the Wicked Edge community in general! Glad to have you here :woohoo:

+1 on what Phil and Eamon said!

Let us know if we can help!

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

Got a WE pro pack II should be here tomorrow at least that is what the fed ex delivery says. I am excited to get to try it out have a edge pro with all the goodies works great but every one says the WE is better I hope so. I am sure it will make a great sharpening tool to add to my collection. Sure I will have ?’s when it gets here until then I will be reading a lot.

Jason

saw two really nice fat comfort fits today – big men’s – same looter found both – bling for me.

welcome aboard my fishing friend.
    <(

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Tuffy, I have no idea what that means.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

+1

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

Eamon…….u should have figured it out.

When Jason is not guiding people in the rivers of tenn. for fish and not sharpening knives……….Jason is a hunter of the yellow metal we both search for. In one word…….GOLD.

Comfort fits are men’s gold wedding bands….a particular style ….big and fat ones.

A looter is just that…..one of our hunting buddies who found the yellow metal while the rest of us had the mumbles.

I live only a matter of minutes from the gold laden Virginia beach fields of yellow, where Jason lives many miles away and must travel east to the coast…..normally for him, the coast of south Carolina, but he has looted with us here also.

The power of the yellow metal is very strong and forces many people to do strange things for over many many years.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Jason

Welcome to the forum.

Couple of points (since you’re coming from the EP)… the Wicked Edge stones require a little break in time, before performing to their potential. Also, take a look at the page on Positioning the Knife (horizontal), a bit different than what you might be accustomed to.

Enjoy! 🙂

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

Eamon…….u should have figured it

The power of the yellow metal is very strong and forces many people to do strange things for over many many years.[/quote]

Jason Reep
    Participant

Thanks guys the WE showed up today as it should. Had time to put it together and sharpen two knifes or attempt to, both got sharp but were not scary sharp but I did not spend the time to make them that way. Just wanted to take it for a spin.

Max you are going to have to get ahead of those boys to get to the yellow. Headed down to plunder with Jim in July again for several days.

Got the pro pack II any stones or strops other goodies I should think about adding to make the set complete?

Thanks again will try to get it out and play with it some more in the next few days.

Jason

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

I think that time and practice will let you know whether you need anything at all.

What do you expect or want as an end game???

As Tom would say “it depends”

OCD and rabbit holes notwithstanding….:evil: :woohoo:

Jason Reep
    Participant

I think that time and practice will let you know whether you need anything at all.

What do you expect or want as an end game???

As Tom would say “it depends”

OCD and rabbit holes notwithstanding….:evil: :woohoo:

Some wicked sharp knifes. Will use it to sharpen a good number of knifes I have a bunch. What I was expecting is faster and less fuss and mess than the edge pro.

Will also use it some at a local market where a buddy sells knifes to sharpen some this winter when the fishing is slower.

Jason

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Thanks guys the WE showed up today as it should. Had time to put it together and sharpen two knifes or attempt to, both got sharp but were not scary sharp but I did not spend the time to make them that way. Just wanted to take it for a spin.

Clay has written a page that talks a bit about this, if you haven’t seen it yet… My first knife is not as sharp as I thought.… Also, as talked about in another recent thread, there’s no need to start with the coarse diamonds to sharpen (just a general tip, not saying you did). 🙂

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

Some wicked sharp knifes. Will use it to sharpen a good number of knifes I have a bunch. What I was expecting is faster and less fuss and mess than the edge pro.

Will also use it some at a local market where a buddy sells knifes to sharpen some this winter when the fishing is slower. Jason

With those goals in mind, I think that your Pro Pack II should be more that adequate. I would call it pretty darn complete.

Once you get some experience with the system you can tell if you think you require something in addition to what you have.

Over a few years I have gathered a bunch of extras. Really though, when I bought my WEPS everything above the 600 grit diamonds was an addition.
    :cheer:

At this point I have about 38 handles with stones and strop media,, and glass. The last several knives that I have sharpened I used 6. 800/1000 the 1K Chosera a 2K Naniwa Aoto 6/3 and 1/.05 micron diamond pastes and sprays, respectively.

I was extremely happy with the edges that I got. I only spent about 15 minutes per blade.

You mentioned mess with the EP, probably due to using the stones wet. One thing that I would consider if I was in your situation is getting some of the waterstones at some point. You do have to use water with them, but when used properly, the mess is minimal.

One last thought, if you have an established bevel that you want to keep, try starting with some of the finer diamonds. This can save you some time in scratch removal and edge refinement.

If you are not getting a scary sharp edge with the kit you have, we should analyze your technique. That result is absolutely attainable using the tools that you have.

Let us know how it is going.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.