Advanced Search

New guy on the block

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat New guy on the block

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Roper
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 3

I’m just starting out with my WE sharpener, but it shows me one thing if nothing else, factory grinds on most knives suck. It’s no wonder most don’t stay sharp very long…oh well.

I look forward to learning from this group and practicing on old knives first.

Roper

3 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Welcome aboard Roper.  While it’s certainly true that factory edges don’t last as long, you’ll find that even the least amount of edge wear will be intolerable when you’ve got the tool to correct it right at had.  I’m sure I sharpen my personal knives three times as often as I would have before I got my WEPS.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Welcome to the forum, Roper! You’re right on many factory edges. Luckily you have a tool now to restore that problem . Please don’t hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

dulledge
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 183

factory grinds on most knives suck. It’s no wonder most don’t stay sharp very long…

My experience is the opposite. Brand new knives lasted sharp much longer. I don’t have many though. Just set of kitchen knives ZWILLING J.A. Henckels Professional “S”, Spyderco folder, Buck Classic Hunter folder, kitchen Zyliss knives. It could be because of lack of my sharpening skills. I wish someone will create database of factory edge profiles, so I could try to imitate factory profiles.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

factory grinds on most knives suck. It’s no wonder most don’t stay sharp very long…

My experience is the opposite. Brand new knives lasted sharp much longer. I don’t have many though. Just set of kitchen knives ZWILLING J.A. Henckels Professional “S”, Spyderco folder, Buck Classic Hunter folder, kitchen Zyliss knives. It could be because of lack of my sharpening skills. I wish someone will create database of factory edge profiles, so I could try to imitate factory profiles.

Probably a different problem needing solving… not sure I’ve ever heard someone claim a factory edge as better.

My guess off the top of my head, would be a burr or wire edge leftover that’s shortening the edge life.

Most factory edges are freehand sharpened, and like I said before, can be all over the map… so probably not possible to create a database of factory edges.  (Usually 2 unequal angles, followed by a buffer at an even higher angle to debur.)  🙂

Maybe a description of how your edges are failing would help… may want to start another thread if interested.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Roper
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 3

To clarify my comment on factory edges, many are uneven, some barely have an edge to speak of. My one knife that has an excellent edge is a Randall 26. Perfectly ground and polished. It has performed for several years of hunting and barely dulled.

One knife that is a challenge is my Russell Sting, it’s a double edge boot knife. I have to carefully hone it by hand. I guess I should stop using it for “other things” than intended…

Thank you all for the welcome and I look forward to learning more as I go.

Roper

John
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 8

Hi Roper, I’m new to weps as well. I started with old knives to practice and it did not take long to get great results. I also ordered the ceramic stones in 1200 / 1600 and extra strops. You will never have to put up with a less than perfect knife ever again.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.