Advanced Search

New from the Netherlands

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat New from the Netherlands

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Gijs
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Hey everyone,

A new guy here from the Netherlands. About a year ago, I treated myself to a Field & Sport Pro package, that I’ve since upgraded with a set of 1200-1600 ceramics and a pair of strops with 5 and 3.5 micron paste, as well as a pair of jaws for 1/4″-blades.

The WE system was recommended to me by a local bladesmith. I contacted him because in a knife I had bought from him a few back, I had managed to chip the edge ever so slightly. I asked him if he would be willing to fix this, to which he replied that he would, but that ownership of (hand forged) knife brings with it the responsibility to look after it. He suggested I get myself a WE, and try to get the knife back into shape myself.

That’s when practising started. Every once in a while, on a rainy afternoon, of which we have a lot here, I pick up a knife from my moderate collection and give it the care it should have gotten years ago. My collection consists of some larger knives, e.g. the survival type of knives and kitchen knives, as well as some smaller stuff such as SAK’s and a few folders. As is recommended everywhere, I started practising on the WE on something cheap, such as a “made in Pakistan” folder and a few no-name kitchen knives. On those, I liked to experiment with different angles and I even convexed one of them. I’m trying to get enough confidence working with the WE, so that I won’t get nervous one day taking a diamond stone to a custom made knife.

I really look forward to going through all the stuff that has already been posted here, from what I’ve seen so far there’s lots to be learned! And, of course, it’s good to know where to go when I get stuck with a little sharpening project.

Take care!

Gijs

• This topic was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Gijs.
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the Forum Gijs.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    jabas2000
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 32

Welkom, landgenoot

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Gijs
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

@MArc: thanks Marc!

@jabas2000: nog een Hollander, gezellig !

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.