Advanced Search

Need suggestions for this poor abused Microtech

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion Need suggestions for this poor abused Microtech

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Sht4brnz
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 2

I highly doubt I will find any help from the manufacturer. To help descibe the pictures, someone thought they’ try their hand at sharpening with a grinder or some power tool and the tip is broke off.

My thoughts are trying to reprofile to the center rib. If I don’t ave issues with the vice, as the blade is only 3/4″ wide from edge to edge.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks

Attachments:
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

That looks like it is going to be a lot of work. My suggestion is to send it to Josh at Razor Edge for a re-grind.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

Just looking at the pics. the tip is not an issue, that is an easy fix. You can reprofile that with the WE but I hope you have 50/80 grit stones. I’ve done some scandi grind knives that I’ve had to remove metal from a 7/16″ wide bevel. You need aggressive stones to take that much metal off in a reasonable time period, not to mention the wear on even a 100 stone in that situation. You can do it with your WE and if you do please show us how it turns out!

I agree with Organic that the knife needs to be thinned, if you will, and the proper equipment and/or a ton of experience is what’s needed. I would not personally attempt it without 50/80 grit stones. I have sharpened similar knives by clamping near the handle first and sharpen the tip end and then clamp it toward the tip to sharpen the back of the blade. The trick is blending the two. Don’t use an angle cube, try to match the existing bevel which you will have to determine the angle of before you re-grind the blade. That is a challenging knife for sure but you can do it with a little care and potentially a lot of time or you can send it out to be re-ground. Josh at Razors edge is very good but only you can determine if the knife justifies the expense.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Sht4brnz:  If this was my knife and I really want it restored, then Organic’s suggestion abut Josh at Razor Edge Knives is the best route.   If it’s a customer’s knife, then the decision is even easier.  Josh will make it look like new.  He does a lot of high-end knives, which tells you how confident he is in his work.  As to sharpening knives like this (double-sided primary grinds), I doubt that you’d find a secure way to mount the blade in your WEPS, so letting Josh do it solves that issue as well.

I have a couple of sanding rigs I use to thin and sharpen knives, but I wouldn’t tackle this one.  For one thing, it was a relatively expensive knife (Googled at about $200?).  The grind marks are something I might have done when I was 12 years old and dumber than a bag of hammers.  Maybe number 1 son was playing sword fighting with it and badly dinged the edge, then thought he could hide the evidence with a few minutes at the bench grinder.  Looks like they worked on the one edge, but when they turned it over and saw the damage, they gave up.

Another argument for corporal punishment.  Or for filicide.  Hey, I just looked that one up – our new word for the day; murder of a child by the parent.  LOL.

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.