Advanced Search

Need help with technique

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Need help with technique

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Zach Thompson
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 12

Little tip if you’re having trouble whittling hair. I have found it’s much easier to get a hair to split if you hold the hair by the tip (not the root). Hair is scaley and if you hold it by the tip, you are going against that grain and can get the whittling action started more easily.

R. Jeffrey Coates
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 55

If I walked up behind my wife with a knife . . . . . . . she’d turn around and shoot me with her gun !

Bill Wood
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 30

Oh, you got me wrong. I would never try to cut some of her hair, I just grab a couple and pluck them out. :woohoo:

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

There’s a few of YT videos showing some technique doing this…. hair whittling with Wicked Edge. ModifiedZ has one that’s almost an hour that’s pretty detailed, smokeeater908 has a brief one that’s worth watching too. (Both should be near the top of the search).

I watched ModifiedZ video and followed it exactly. Took about four hours to do my knife. It came out seriously sharp! But not hair whittling? I was however able to tree top a couple of arm hairs but even that was pretty sad?
    I did notice at the end of ModifiedZ video he writes in he could not whittle hair till he used .5 paste.
    Are you guys using the paste or am I just missing the boat?

Eating Pie
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 36

There’s a few of YT videos showing some technique doing this…. hair whittling with Wicked Edge. ModifiedZ has one that’s almost an hour that’s pretty detailed, smokeeater908 has a brief one that’s worth watching too. (Both should be near the top of the search).

I watched ModifiedZ video and followed it exactly. Took about four hours to do my knife. It came out seriously sharp! But not hair whittling? I was however able to tree top a couple of arm hairs but even that was pretty sad?
    I did notice at the end of ModifiedZ video he writes in he could not whittle hair till he used .5 paste.
    Are you guys using the paste or am I just missing the boat?[/quote]
    I guess I’m into old threads today… 🙂

I found that holding the paddles for a consistent angle was key. Since there’s play between the paddles and the guide rods, you may not be hitting the bevel exactly the same with each pass (I measured a .4 to .5 degree variation). I used ModifiedZ recommendation: grasp the paddles so your index finger rests at the top and pushes toward the clamp, while rotating your wrist slightly to pull the bottom away from the clamp. This way you hit the bevel at the same angle every time. The first time I tried this, I produced a solid hair whittling edge.

-Pie

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Good point Pie.

Consistency is the key to everything with WEPS. Avoiding cutting your fingers, not cutting strops, getting a good edge, getting a great edge.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.