Advanced Search

Miyabi 6000 MCT 5.5″ Santoku – Rockwell 63

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Miyabi 6000 MCT 5.5″ Santoku – Rockwell 63

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    October Glory
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Got a great surprise yesterday when my girlfriend gave me this beautiful Miyabi 6000 MCT 5.5″ Santoku for Christmas. The blade has a core of SG2 powdered steel with a Rockwell hardness of 63. When the time comes are the stones in my ProPack II hard enough to sharpen it?

Attachments:
    Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

Hi Jay, sweet looking knife. You won’t have a problem

October Glory
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Thanks Dan. My Shun 5.5″ Classic Santoku Knife has a 16° edge, but it hasn’t required sharpening in the months that I’ve had it – just a few strokes with the ceramic stones and it’s back to wicked sharp. The Miyabi has a 9½° to 12° symmetrical factory edge. Hopefully with my low angle adapter I’ll be able to hit that angle with the ceramic and finish with the leather strop to maintain the edge for a long time before it needs sharpening.

I added another picture of the knife – this one outside on a fence post.

Attachments:
    Roman
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 20

Another option would be to put micro-bevel. I put micro-bevels on all my pocket and kitchen knive. IMHO it makes life much easier and sharpening time much shorter. Than reprofile as needed.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.