Advanced Search

Minimum Blade Height

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Minimum Blade Height

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Doug Williams
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 43

What is the minimum blade height (spine to edge) that the WEPS can sharpen? I imagine that there has to be a limit because the clamp will be so close to the blade edge that it will start to interfere with the stones. Most of my blades are plenty wide, but I do have a few pairing knives and such that are around 7/16 of an inch.

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

I just tried one of my old jack-knife blades which is 7/16ths and it did fine at an angle of 19 degrees, but it had to be mounted high in the slot, not down onto the prongs of the depth gauge. I haven’t checked at more angles but I susupect if I tried to get a very acute angle, I would start to brush the upright of the vise.
    Hope that helps!

Cheers
    Leo

What is the minimum blade height (spine to edge) that the WEPS can sharpen? I imagine that there has to be a limit because the clamp will be so close to the blade edge that it will start to interfere with the stones. Most of my blades are plenty wide, but I do have a few pairing knives and such that are around 7/16 of an inch.

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Just a follow up, I was not able to go past 17.5 degrees then without the upright of the vise interfering with the process. Mind you I didn’t try mounting the blade a little higher in the vise or I might have gotten another 1/2 or 3/4 of a degree. So it looks good.

Leo

Doug Williams
    Participant

Thanks Leo!

I have never heard this discussed much, so it is nice to have a real life example. I suppose I can live with 17.5 degrees for most of my narrow knives. I would like to go more acute for some of my fillet knives, however. I’m still waiting to see how the new “acute angle accessory” is going to work. Supposedly out in November. Maybe we can get Clay to give us a sneak preview. :whistle:

Doug

Ted
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 9

I have a small Spyderco kitchen peeling knife with a half-inch width blade at its widest point. I need a very narrow bevel on this knife, but was unable to get below about 18 degrees or so. I tried a narrower angle, but ended up scuffing up the tops of the clamp…

TedP

Doug Williams
    Participant

I have a small Spyderco kitchen peeling knife with a half-inch width blade at its widest point. I need a very narrow bevel on this knife, but was unable to get below about 18 degrees or so. I tried a narrower angle, but ended up scuffing up the tops of the clamp…

TedP

Hmmm…well…I’m still waiting for details on the new “acute angle accessory” or whatever it winds up being called. That will cure the WEPS of this problem, which is the last remaining WEPS issue of significance, IMHO. Still, the WEPS is pretty awesome just as it is.

Doug Williams
    Participant

Any update on the Acute Angle Accessory that will allow us to sharpen at reduced angles on fillet knives, etc? I was just wondering basically what it will look like and how it will work. More importantly, how will it install on the WEPS? A rough idea of when it will be available and ball park cost estimate would be nice as well. B)

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Any update on the Acute Angle Accessory that will allow us to sharpen at reduced angles on fillet knives, etc? I was just wondering basically what it will look like and how it will work. More importantly, how will it install on the WEPS? A rough idea of when it will be available and ball park cost estimate would be nice as well. B)

Very soon I hope 🙂 There actually two devices planned: one clamps in the vise and holds the knife up much higher to get to lower angles, the other slides on the rods like a stone (and does a bunch of other very cool things) I’m heading out to VT to our factory there in early Dec., hopefully to finalize the designs and get production started. They’ll be fully machined initially, then depending on demand, we might make some tools and have them cast.

-Clay

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.