Advanced Search

Micro fine ceramic stone issues

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Ceramic Stones Micro fine ceramic stone issues

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    R. Jeffrey Coates
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 55

So, if I am understanding this, the stones, without lapping, are “out of sequence?

Why so? and why not lap them all and then get them in the “proper” order?

Confusing to me a little bit . . I guess I’m just “not that sharp!” 😉

David Hill
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 38

🙁 sorry to hear the trouble your having David. I bought the Super Fine ceramics as a go between from the 1000 diamonds to the Micro Fine ceramics, and I use them in that progression and have not lapped mine ( other than against themselves ) but I’ve had no issues with them…….except that on the Micro Fines once, the stones came loose from the paddles and fell off…………..which I then used medium thick CA glue to re-adhere them which worked out great.

Here are a few pics of one I recently finished ( a re-sharpen or touch up if you will ) starting at the 600 grit diamonds going through both sets of the ceramics, then finally the balsa and leather strops. It came out with a REALLY nice mirrored edge, and very sharp.

what is CA glue please? Mine just fell off too. 🙁

Davidghemail

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

what is CA glue please? Mine just fell off too. 🙁

It’s a generic name for a wide number of glues based on cyano acrylate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate

You’ll find it listed on the label,

Includes products like super glue and krazy glue.

Ken

David Hill
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 38

Thanks Ken! Super glue seemed to work. I only hope I put enough on, and that its sitting flat(I just put glue on top of old glue and clamped it). We’ll see!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Contact adhesive is my favourite to use for two reasons it is user friendly and when the stone needs replacing putting the paddle in boiling water will soften the glue enough to remove the stone remains then the remains of the glue can be removed with an aluminium scouring pad .
    Epoxy or super glue really is permanent so there is no way to reuse the paddle in the future . 3M do contact adhesive in an aerosol similar to spray mount but it is for fabrics or formica etc I prefer an old fashioned tin since spraying small areas does not work so well and there is a lot of wastage.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.