Advanced Search

Me & WEPS: 2 Weeks In

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Me & WEPS: 2 Weeks In

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

Hello to all you Wicked Edge fanboys!

This is the 1st forum I’ve decided to join here on this thing called the interwebz. I think it’s mainly due to the fact that I rarely come across a product or service that provides enough intrinsic motivation to drive me to an online community… Until now : :cheer:

Anyway, I’ve owned my WEPS for a little over 2 weeks and I’m totally elated. Sharpening is no longer just a form of necessary tool maintenance now that it has transcended into something fun and intellectually stimulating.

Now that I own a Wicked Edge and am so totally pumped up about it, I also recently created my 1st YouTube channel. I hope you take a few minutes to check out the video I shot yesterday to kick things off.

Thanks and I look forward to being a part of what’s going on here within the WEPs community.

– Steven Bolin

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hi Steven,

Welcome to the forum! Great you like your WEPS so much! As most of us here do :cheer: .

And thanks a lot for creating that video! I love watching sharpening videos. (A Chromecast helps in that…) And particularly WEPS videos in which people show the way in which they use it and their mods… GREAT!

If you’ve created you own YouTube channel… looking forward to more vids!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Welcome aboard Steven!

I think you’re looking to become a member of our OCB support group here at WickedEdgeUSA! So far, you’re hitting all the marks, but as you say, it’s a real learning curve. You’re already as far along as I was after six months.

But as long as you’ve opened the floor…

I’ve got a couple of the angle cubes and the “I-gaging AngleCube” as sold here and elsewhere is the best. Magnets on three sides and has “hold” and “zero” buttons.

I think everybody slashes their leather strops right off the bat. Not to worry. Unless the flap is sliced off, it’ll usually still work. I still used mine for at least two years.

Don’t get obsessed with the offset from the fixed jaw. The fact is that the edge will have the same included angle regardless of the blade centerline. The graduations on the crossbar are only for reference – almost all of the knives you do will show different angles. What is of value, however, are the detent positions. For most work, use your angle cube to set your detent position, then set the opposite rod to the same setting. Don’t get wrapped up in the geometry. We waste a lot of energy discussing it here. But we probably ain’t gonna stop.

Again, welcome aboard. Stay with us here on the forum. This is a great bunch on contributors with very few bones to pick. You won’t find too many forums that can say that. We even have a couple of gents from the other side of the pond. All that and you get the straight answers from the man himself.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I think everybody slashes their leather strops right off the bat.

:cheer: 😉 Same experience here. 😆

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

Thanks for the warm welcome, gentlemen! I look forward to getting to know everyone and nerding-out :cheer:

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.