Advanced Search

Magnetized blade

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Glenn Goodlett
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 13

I just sharpened a knife in which the blade somehow became magnetized. I went through the grits but I think I may have been running filings over the edge. When done I still had a lot of scratches.  I should have taken a photo but I didn’t. You could see the individual steel filings standing up on the edge. It was not dull by any means as it scored about 200 BESS but I was hoping for better. Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with this issue as I am still pretty new to the WE. Or am I expecting too much.

I think all of my diamond stones are broken in now except for my 50/80 which has never been used. My progression is as follows;

Diamond 100/200, 400/600, 800/1000, 1500, 0.6 film on glass, 4/2,   1/0.5 on leather.

Blade is VG-10 core Damascus at 19 degrees.

NorCalQ
    Participant
    • Topics: 54
    • Replies: 149

I had questions about the Angle Cube magnets magnetizing the metal stones, but I was told that wouldn’t happen.  At any rate, demagnetizers can be found at cheap prices.  I bought one on ebay and although there’s a bit of technique to using it, it does work.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.